76 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Edited Sep 06, 2010, 16:09
Re: Another racist morissey rant
Sep 06, 2010, 16:06
pooley wrote:
I'm sure if he went out paki bashing you'd say it was in an ironic fashion...

I'm not sure I would.

Here, by the way is a more level headed response from another newspaper. It also contains Morrissey's response: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/neilmccormick/100046523/morrissey-racist-hes-just-stirring-the-storm-in-his-proper-english-builders-tea-cup/

Sometimes the government or authorities of a country are referred to simply by the name of that country. It usually comes across as implying all the individuals who live within that land. It's all very much a grey area of potentially dangerous generalisations, IMO.

I don't dislike all American people. Let's face it I've not met them all yet, so can't form any opinion on whether they're all like George W. Bush - However, I have slagged off America on numerous occasions, but was simply commenting on his government's policy of shafting certain less fortunate peoples in far off lands less equipped to look after themselves. Not Red Peony, Hand Of Dave and all the millions of other equally fab people over there.

In that previous post I deliberately made an example of dissing 'the English'. How many of us felt personally offended?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index