76 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Re: Another racist morissey rant
Sep 06, 2010, 15:50
Kid Calamity wrote:
I read the feature in the Guardian. It comes across as an unguarded aside that slipped out in conversation between two people, rather than a statement somebody was adamant on broadcasting. Simon Armitage is a well respected poet and Morrissey a renowned lyricist. Could there have been a little bit of professional rivalry involved when Armitage decided on ensuring he quoted that remark?

The Guardian's news report in the main section of the paper devotes most of its space to past reports of possible racist soundbites, as this instance seemed to need bolstering a bit, IMO. Morrissey wasn't making a racist 'rant' there. He was making an animal cruelty rant. I think most of us would catch ourselves slagging of a country that is indifferent to say, bullfighting for example. Or even fox hunting. - I'm sure somebody somewhere has slagged of 'the English' for that or a myriad of other crappy things we've done. Oops, I think I might have just accidentally done it, there.

Yeah, in a funny way it's Simons fault that mozza said that the Chinese were a sub species. Sheesh
A statement that slipped out? Oh, that's ok then. As long as his racism was a comment between two people, that shouldn't have been reported it's not really racism is it?

It was an animal cruelty comment, but said in a racist way. He should have said people who treat animals this way are a ... Whatever. To say an entire race is a sub species, for whatever reason, is racism. Pure and simple.

I find the mozza apologists a bit bizarre. I was called a fucking idiot by binary elf for either reading his post wrong, or questioning mozza. What does he have to say to be branded a racist? I'm sure if he went out paki bashing you'd say it was in an ironic fashion

His backlist, good as it is, does not excuse him from this. We must judge him as severely as we would if it was, say, Phil Collins, Chris rea... Anyone

This place makes me a bit sick sometimes.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index