Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 06, 2010, 10:18
Re: Another racist morissey rant
Sep 04, 2010, 20:55
Popel Vooje wrote:
My main issue with comments like this one is that Morrissey does a good cause a disservice by associating the desire for a more humane world with misanthropic fanaticism in the minds of the reader. Whether inadvertantly or not, it fuels the stupidity of kneejerkers think those who argue in favour of animal rights do so because they secretly despise the human race.

Misanthropic is exactly the right word. Racism would indicate a degree of discrimination which (in both senses) he seems to be incapable of. Why be precise when a sweeping generalisation will do very nicely and garner greater headlines?

I can't imagine that this arch solipsist and (by turns) narcissist and autophobe distinguishes between races in a Tyndall, Webster, Griffin kind of a way. There wouldn't be enough in it about him to retain his attention.

Anyway, someone please tell me why on earth we continue to care about what these old rock stars think when they are such a long way past the point where they truly entertained us let alone made new records with anything to say? If the music and the wit isn't there then no amount of grandstanding will save the day.

I increasingly think that almost everything written in the media about rock n roll needs to handled with the deepest scepticism because the bar is set so low. You've regularly got a situation where the barely literate are lavishing praise on the barely musical. HH Is a much more reliable barometer of what is really valuable.

As an audience we also need to collectively get past this My Rock Star Right & Wrong, "Stan" thing which seems to be encouraged by internet tribalism. People gather together to form a cyber version of the Roman Turtle in an attempt to ferry the object of their affections to critical safety. Art isn't football or ice hockey where defending the honour of every brutal, morally bankrupt, cheating bastard who happens to play for your team is par for the course. The fandom of rock n roll is what keeps the music in a cultural pergatory where the other Arts suck its teet for exposure and a wider audience but rarely reciprocates.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index