Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 1 August 2010 CE
Aug 03, 2010, 14:31
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

The Silver Apples- S/T

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about getting a meet-up together for that gig. Very weird one it was, too- at a church. I never feel like a show really takes off unless I'm up and dancing, having some kinda phsyical reaction to the music, but I wasn't brave enough to join the four or five people who rose out of the pews and danced in the aisles. Guess I haven't completely gotten over my Catholic upbringing after all. I also missed the human drum sound that gave Silver Apples' music a heart. It was kinda like seeing Can with Jaki Liebezeit replaced with a drum machine. It was worth going to for the novelty value though, I guess.

I enjoyed it. Wasn't dancing in the aisle, but danced in my pew! I interviewed Simeon earlier, and he said the beats were all actual samples of Danny Taylor's original performances- that he hadn't the heart to replace him when he died.
Also I guess it makes touring in a hatchback easier.

I really enjoyed them at both ATP and Field Day. I definitely prefer the solo shows he's been doing over the last few years to the three-piece line-up he was touring with in the late 90s (when my band supported them). Both the guys he had in the band then were considerably younger than him, and they seemed to be trying to bring the music up to date by using modern sequencers and samples instead of the analogue oscillators Simeon used back in the 60s (and seems to be using again now).

Inevitably, as with most attempts to update the original template of a band's sound, using 90s gear just made the music sound more dated from a 21st Century point of view than their original albums (see Kraftwerk's "The Mix" for another example).
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index