46 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Aug 01, 2010, 11:34
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 1 August 2010 CE
Aug 01, 2010, 11:19
I think so. That first cut by Cromagnon might filter out some less adventurous listeners, but it's really something else. At the very least, listening to that comp will be a pretty interesting way to usher in the new week.

Anyway, I've been listening to some of these things:

Washington Phillips - Key to the Kingdom. This is a really uplifting gospel-blues record recorded in the late '20s. He used an instrument he built himself that was something like a cross between a guitar, a zither and an organ and sounded like heaven's ice cream van. Gorgeous stuff.

Chrome - Blood on the Moon. Chrome's new wave/weird wave period is well worth exploring for fans of Half Machine... and Alien Soundtracks. I find myself going back to this stuff more often (not that I'm saying it's better).

Kazuki Tomokawa - Muzan No Bi. One of those Japanese folksters J.C. unfortunately ignored in his book. The stuff I've heard by him and Kan Mikami has been anything but wet and forgettable. Flits between John Cale-like screamathons and really sweet songs in the Candy Says vein.

Janelle MonĂ¡e - The ArchAndroid. Now here's some recent pop I can get behind.

OK, my head is pounding from last night so I'm not really up for writing a crappy blurb on everything else I listened to:

Robbie Basho - The Voice of the Eagle/Visions of the Country

Alternative TV - The Image Has Cracked

Hoahio - Ohahyu! Hohahio!

Dif Juz - Who Says So?

Mississippi John Hurt - Avalon Recordings

'A bus stops and two Italian men get on. They sit down and engage in an animated conversation. The lady sitting behind them ignores them at first, but her attention is galvanized when she hears one of the men say the following:

"Emma come first.
Den I come.
Den two asses come together.
I come once-a-more.
Two asses, they come together again.
I come again and pee twice.
Then I come one lasta time."
"You foul-mouthed swine, " retorted the lady indignantly. "In this country we don't talk about our sex lives in public!"

"Hey, coola down lady," said the man.
"Who talkin' abouta sexa? I'm a justa tellin' my frienda how to spella Mississippi."'

The Units - History of the Units (77-83)

Lou Bond - Lou Bond

Tom Ze - Todos Os Olhos

Guitar Wolf - Jet Generation

Michel Polnareff - Polnareff's

The Crawling Chaos - The Gas Chair

Wolfhounds - The Essential Wolfhounds

Betty Davis - S/T

Andrew Hill - Point of Departure

V.A. - The Very best of Ethiopiques

The Heptones - On Top

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys

Ini Kamoze - S/T

The Abyssinians - Satta Masa Gana

Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Osorezan

And a lot of laid-back funk music like this track by a guy called Swamp Dogg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3kgVSV_DRc
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index