46 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Edited Aug 01, 2010, 11:50
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 1 August 2010 CE
Aug 01, 2010, 11:13
Neil Young 'After The Goldrush' and 'Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere' in their fabulous new 180g vinyl editions. They've never sounded better;

Rainbow 'On Stage' - flawed live double with an eccentric track choice (wot, no 'Stargazer'?) and a side-long version of 'Catch The Rainbow' that outstays its welcome by about three months - but a fine memorial to both Ronnie Dio and Cozy Powell nonetheless;

Wishbone Ash 'Wishbone Ash' - my separate thread refers;

The Doors 'Absolutely Live' - and absolutely beautiful in its glossy new thick vinyl edition. I hadn't heard this in years and thoroughly enjoyed "being there" again, such is the genius engineering on this set. Morrison lives, indeed;

Inspiral Carpets 'Life' - Some records mature like fine wines in their racks: you pull one out and are pleasantly surprised by its fruitiness and maturity. This, alas, isn't one of them, sounding dated and twee;

Groundhogs 'Thank Christ For The Groundhogs' - terrific value package of the first five 'Hogs albums. Int 'Split' brilliant;

Wolfgang Puschnig, Linda Sharrock & Uli Scherer 'AM 4...and she answered' - one of those wonderful records where the spaces between the notes matter every bit as much as the notes themselves, with the strangest, loveliest rendition of 'Over The Rainbow' I've ever heard;

Christine Collister 'Live' - delightfully understated concert recording highlighting Christine's warm, smoky, pitch-perfect voice to the full;

Jethro Tull 'Stand Up' - stone classic sophomore album with ten faultless songs. There's a "deluxe edition" imminent which, like 'Kilimanjaro', has wasted the opportunity to include the two very different mixes that exist of the album, in this case substituting two versions of the disappointing 1970 Carnegie Hall concert that we've already had in the 25th anniversary box set way back when. Who decides this shit?

Hatfield and the North 'The Rotters' Club' - another perfect second album. Every home should have one.

Can't be bothered to list all the classical stuff I listened to this week; suffice to say it included Mahler (Giulini's Mahler 9 - superb), Messiaen and a revelatory Eroica conducted by Gunter Wand.

Have a good week, everybody.

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index