Goldfrapp : Seventh Tree

David Bowie :The Rise & Fall Of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars

Bjork : Homogenic
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 1 August 2010 CE
Aug 01, 2010, 01:01
Currently listening to a Buddy Holly Best Of collection.
Thoroughly entertaining.

Other listening highlights this week have included 10,000 Maniacs In My Tribe, the new SVIIB album, Disconnect From Desire, some Buzzcocks, Run Toto Run and the 'deserve to be fucken hooge' The Joy Formidable.

:o)
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Aug 01, 2010, 01:11
Atomic Rooster/ Atomic Ro-o-oster

Darker My Love/ ST

Black Angels/ Passover

The Warlocks/ Phoenix

Cactus/ ST

Queen/ ST

Shalabi Effect/ ST

Rory Gallagher/ Calling Card

Keef/ Stoned to Doom

Richard Pinhas/ Metatron

Turzi/ A

Stack Waddy/ Bugger Off

VA/ Like Black Holes in the Sky - The Tribute to Sid Barrett

Jex Thoth/ Witness

Boris/ Akuma no Uta

The Black Hollies/ Softly Towards the Light

Socrates/ Socrates Drank the Conium

Randy Holden/ Population II

Josiah/ Procession

Areknames/ In Case of Loss...

Lucifer Was/ The Crown of Creation

Oresund Space Collective/ Slip Into the Vortex
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Aug 01, 2010, 01:17
Albums

Blitzen Trapper - Destroyer of the Void
Dadawah - Peace and Love
VA - Turkish Freakout
VA - Elysium: A Benefit for The Art of Elysium
Jacky Chalard - Je Suis Vivant, Mais J'ai peur de Gilbert Deflez
VA - Europium Alluminate
Peg Simone - Secrets from the Storm EP
Andrew WK - Close Calls with Brick Walls
The Dandy Warhols - Best of the Capitol Years
Wovenhand - The Threshingfloor
Metallica - Death Magnetic
DJ Nameless - birthday comp of the top 10 the week I was born
Semi Precious Weapons - You Love You

Tracks

The Superimposers - Where do you go?
Kingdom - That Mystic
J Majick & Wickaman - Rage
Itchy Robot - Miss You
Islaja — Joku Toi Radion
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Aug 01, 2010, 02:21
I'm too knackered to write down the names of all the CD's at the top of the pile right now, but I know I've been listening to a lot of really strange avant-folk in preparation for this list. (I also uploaded an 80-minute compilation on that link).
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Aug 01, 2010, 07:48
Downloading this now. I hope it's good.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Aug 01, 2010, 09:26
Dale Cooper Quartet and The Dictaphones - Parole de Navarre

Microstoria - Init Ding, Invisible Architecture

David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees, Manafon

Talking Heads - Remain in Light, Fear of Music, More songs about Buildings and Food, Speaking in Tongues

The Kilimanjaro Dark Jazz Ensemble - Eponymous

50 Foot Wave - Golden Ocean

The Brian Jonestown Massacre - .. and this is our music

Edgeist - Assembly (A fun little EP which proves you can do worthwhile things with a couple of samples and a tasty distortion circuit, as long as you keep the tracks under 4 minutes long)

And a shed load of Miles Davis Quintet since I found my 6 CD box set again.
Johnny Boy
Johnny Boy
103 posts

Aug 01, 2010, 10:52
Lucifer Rising original soundtrack and sessions anthology - Bobby Beausoleil
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 02, 2010, 09:43
Aug 01, 2010, 11:01
Mainly a week of Glass, Mahler, Strauss, Ellington, Porcupine Tree Ulver and Opeth (strangely gloomy lot for mid Summer - Ellington aside) but one record has been played (to death) this week more than any other ...

The Tubes - s/t

Musically it's "Station to Station" meets "Zoot Allures" / "Zappa In New York" era FZ without the misanthropy but with a fair helping of Be Bop Deluxe and mid 70s pomp. Not prog, not metal, not jazz-rock. Kind of glam. Kind of not. Simultaneously camply theatrical and instrumentally as muscular as anything else of that era's rock mainstream. On the pop side of the coin there are the kind of song structres that are clearly deeply influenced by Todd Rundgren circa 1974 and they also share his jaw dropping eclecticism as the band flit from idoim to idiom while keeping it completely convincing - not least this because of the fantastic rhythm section. We also have some of the greatest ridiculous yet pithy moog and guitar solos ever committed to vinyl. No one over-plays because there is a real sense of this music having been written for the stage and that it has been honed in front of a live crowd rather than fixed in post production. These are literally show tunes with a hefty dose of Noel Cowardesque social satire. You also get Roxy Music's louche self absorbtion and the love-hate relationship with Americana and consumer ephemera that you find a little later in Talking Heads and Devo. Some of it is a bit E Street Band meets the Village People and inevitably parts of it have dated a wee bit but when the satire creaks the melodies and arrangements save the day. For 1975 it was a stunning achievement. Although they were never this good again, as pre Post Punk debut albums go it is up there with Van Halen I. That good.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Edited Aug 01, 2010, 11:50
Aug 01, 2010, 11:13
Neil Young 'After The Goldrush' and 'Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere' in their fabulous new 180g vinyl editions. They've never sounded better;

Rainbow 'On Stage' - flawed live double with an eccentric track choice (wot, no 'Stargazer'?) and a side-long version of 'Catch The Rainbow' that outstays its welcome by about three months - but a fine memorial to both Ronnie Dio and Cozy Powell nonetheless;

Wishbone Ash 'Wishbone Ash' - my separate thread refers;

The Doors 'Absolutely Live' - and absolutely beautiful in its glossy new thick vinyl edition. I hadn't heard this in years and thoroughly enjoyed "being there" again, such is the genius engineering on this set. Morrison lives, indeed;

Inspiral Carpets 'Life' - Some records mature like fine wines in their racks: you pull one out and are pleasantly surprised by its fruitiness and maturity. This, alas, isn't one of them, sounding dated and twee;

Groundhogs 'Thank Christ For The Groundhogs' - terrific value package of the first five 'Hogs albums. Int 'Split' brilliant;

Wolfgang Puschnig, Linda Sharrock & Uli Scherer 'AM 4...and she answered' - one of those wonderful records where the spaces between the notes matter every bit as much as the notes themselves, with the strangest, loveliest rendition of 'Over The Rainbow' I've ever heard;

Christine Collister 'Live' - delightfully understated concert recording highlighting Christine's warm, smoky, pitch-perfect voice to the full;

Jethro Tull 'Stand Up' - stone classic sophomore album with ten faultless songs. There's a "deluxe edition" imminent which, like 'Kilimanjaro', has wasted the opportunity to include the two very different mixes that exist of the album, in this case substituting two versions of the disappointing 1970 Carnegie Hall concert that we've already had in the 25th anniversary box set way back when. Who decides this shit?

Hatfield and the North 'The Rotters' Club' - another perfect second album. Every home should have one.

Can't be bothered to list all the classical stuff I listened to this week; suffice to say it included Mahler (Giulini's Mahler 9 - superb), Messiaen and a revelatory Eroica conducted by Gunter Wand.

Have a good week, everybody.

Dave
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index