Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 1 August 2010 CE

46 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 1 August 2010 CE
Aug 02, 2010, 10:18
Deep Purple – Fireball sadly overlooked coming between In Rock & Machinehead & not featuring on Made In Japan much, always been my fave Gillan era studio LP, maybe as much to do with it not having superior live versions of all the songs available elsewhere, full marks to Deep Purple remaster folk as well, this is how it should be done

Bong – Roadburn 2010 top listen, only way I could fault this is by saying the real live experience is better

Current 93 – Thunder Perfect Mind the general consensus is that this is C93s best wyrdfolke album, can’t say I agree , it’s good but imho not the best

Slomo – The Bog dddddddddrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnneeeeeebeast

Black Sabbath – Master Of Reality another fantastic remaster, but it would be pretty hard to fuck up perfection .

Primal Scream – Vanishing Point looking forward to the VP 25th anniversary show, along with Echodek this is one of the Primals many peaks

Mazzy Star – Amongst My Swan much s I love Mazzy Star they probably did well to break up when they did, as good as this is it doesn’t add to the blueprint at all

Manic street Preachers – Everything Must Go really enjoyed listening to this again after sitting on the shelf for many a year, was thinking of getting rid of it but it has been saved for another 5 years

Mountain – Twin Peaks 30 mins of the weekend world theme, guitar solos a gogo, fuzz bass ploughing holes thru the bowels, if you don’t like this you probably have some taste & decency. Taste & decency is however denying you hours of fun as you listen to the wonderfully named Felix Pepparlardi try to be play like Jack Bruce with mittens on and laugh at the fact that requiring some Big Guitar for the Who’s Next demos Pete Townshend phoned up Leslie West to make some HUGE choons HUGER

Diamond Head – Death & Progression DH go Bon Jovi, some decent tunes in here but it’s a bit failed NWOBHM band clutch at straws

Cheap Trick – At The Budokan only Cheap Trick you need IMHO, but not a bum note here

Elvis Costello – GirlsGirlsGirls disappointingly not an Elvis Motley Crue tribute, but piled high with some spiffingly good tunes

AC/DC – If You Want Blood You’ve Got It, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap,Back In Black heard Brian Johnson on the radio and he seems like a lovely bloke, shame his AC/DC lps are uniformly crap, dug out BIB to double check, still a highly polished turd

The very Bestest DooWop Classics ever times two in a drunken fit I decided that 2 3cd volumes of DooWop at 1.99 each were a good idea, and truth be told they are extremely good, it’s just the fact that 6cds is just too much of a good thing, luckily I didn’t plump for the early RnR vols I had my eye on as well or this weeks listening could well have been songs from 1952-62. I also have a hankering for The Carpenters Greatest hits, I think I’m getting old

The Cult – Love Mrs Elf likes this , so it gets played when she is about

This Mortal Coil –It’ll End In Tears luckily I can listen to this without being reminded of Song To The siren being involved in the technicolour yawn scene in the film of Them Lovely Bones, weird [but not in a good way] film, lovely LP, also listened to Filigree & Shadow [ is that what it’s called] which again is excellent and far enough removed from the 80s to become timeless rather than reeking of last years production value, also listened to Sign O’ The Times and Parade by Prince which again now sound as good as they did when they were released rather than a record recorded 8 years ago, I wonder if one day Nickel back will sound good rather than turn of the century rockplop [ see also Shania Twain, Def Leppard]

Butthole Surfers – Double Live on the production value scale this comes in at about minus 3, still a must listen lp though and the only Buttholes record I have as I never really liked the others I heard

Fields Of The Nephelim – been on a gothtrip with Carl & the flour pot boys, something very nice about the Nephelim, a kind of simple Pomp and a nice attention to detail, not everyones cup of hemlock I’ll admit but a lesson in how to execute an idea with a bit of class imho, and they have a HM branch [The Nefilim] which may not be very classy but it far superior to pretending that you really like the techno remix someone has made of your album

Must go I can hear the mystic wailing of Cthulu as the Sumerian street corner vocals calling me to my doom
Shh boom diddly boom,shiddly diddly biddly shboombdoom b’;doom I dream only of Youuuuuuuuuu, Cthuluuuuuuuuuuuu.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index