Glastonbury coverage

77 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Re: Glastonbury coverage
Jun 26, 2011, 11:50
The coverage I have seen/endured has been pretty appalling this year. Jo Whiley and Zane Lowe discussing U2 made me want to disconnect my eyeballs and hammer pencils through my eardrums.

Morrissey picked some good songs and had some amusing inter-song banter, but had a terrible band - what they did to The Smiths' songbook was unforgivable.

I quite liked Achtung Baby! at the time, possibly as it was a surprise after Rattle & Hum. So the first five songs coming from that were almost interesting - but in the end it was clinical, the band had additional bits of stage/video screens (so couldn't play a straight up gig like the Boss) and then they played some terribly dull later material. I think this was the reason I had several red wines and whiskies on Friday night...

I thought Wu-Tang Clan (not all of them there) were mostly terrible and I love most of their records from 36 Chambers to Heavy Mental (& have time for pretty much anything by Ghostface Killah and Raekwon). But bad and am glad I didn't go and see them in Brum the other week...

& a lot of what else I've seen (whilst reading, so not a complete waste of time) has been pretty poor: Primal Scream playing Screamadelica, Cee-Lo (the Terence Trent D'Arby of this decade), Mumford, The Gaslight Anthem, Jessie J etc

Terrible stuff - Elbow were alright, but hard to get passionate about (there is a Robert Wyatt/Peter Gabriel Genesis vibe); The Kills sounded rock and roll ("Street level punk" according to Zane Lowe); Janelle Monae was quite enjoyable to watch; there was a pleasing African act who I tuned in halfway through who were groovy; and best of all, I saw Warpaint on the I-Player and they were excellent (especially at the end when they went off on one with 'Elephants' and had some twin-drumming).

I guess the BBC are only showing the obvious stuff and don't have cameras on the Park Stage, so you miss Radiohead, BAD, Warpaint (who played twice), Gruff Rhys, Tame Impala (who played twice), Caribou, Jenny & Johnny, James Blake, Jonny, etc

The BBC are also failing to show lots of other bands who are there. I'd like to have seen Twilight Singers, Battles, DJ Shadow, Gonjasifu, Metronomy...but either they were hardly featured or I'd departed as the focus was on U2 or Coldplay.

Today there are still some people I'd like to see: Jah Wobble, TV on the Radio, Everything Everything ('Final Form' and their new song 'Kimosabe' are excellent), Eels, QOTSA, The Low Anthem, Paul Simon...it's going to be all about Kaiser Chiefs, Robyn, Beyonce, Pendulum, the dire Plan B, etc and more fleshcringing pieces with awful radio DJ's. Zane Lowe's introduction to Coldplay was the worst...

It's far too big, corporate and has a weird demograph - a pity there wasn't more on thet Sound of 71 stage. I'm doing The Green Man and the Moseley Folk Festival instead (with maybe a visit to Field Day as John Cale, Ariel Pink and Warpaint are playing)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index