Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 25 April 2010 CE

64 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1054 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 25 April 2010 CE
Apr 25, 2010, 20:45
Donovan - Sunshine Superman (currently reading his autobiography - boy, does he blow his own trumpet! But he is genuinely underrated)

Neu! - Neu! 75 (the most perfect Neu! album, but Neu! 2 has my favourite tracks)

Bread Love & Dreams - Amaryllis (as with many psych/folk LPs of this era this is hit and miss, but the haunting 'Brother John' is a keeper)

Timothy Leary & Ash Ra Tempel - 7 Up

Faust - Faust IV (probably my favourite Faust album; not being 'there' at the time it is hard to fathom why this was considered such a let-down, even after 'The Faust Tapes')

Incredible String Band - Wee Tam & The Big Huge (pristine new remaster, still a bit too big to swallow in one go, but there's no one else who quite did what they did)

Martin Carthy - Out Of The Cut

Thompson Twins - Set (fun to revisit one of my embarrassing teenage favourites; this is a slightly awkward transition between their new wave beginnings and synthpop future, but I was surprised how good a handful of tracks still sound)

Bee Gees - To Whom It May Concern (at this point still mixing MOR and weirdness in their own inimitable way)

String Driven Thing - String Driven Thing (rescued from the bargain bin at the Music & Video Exchange in Notting Hill on the strength of its Charisma label and the promise of some decent folk rock. Not entirely convinced by it)

Dando Shaft - Lantaloon

Eurythmics - In The Garden (debut album recorded in Germany with Conny Plank and members of Can. Shame they eventually went a bit rubbish)

Flower Travellin' Band - Satori (I like but don't love this. It has a great sound but just seems a tad too derivative to be the classic it's made out to be)

Witch Hazel - Landlocked (my first Unsung review. Still love its mixture of gaucheness and occasional high achievement)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index