Big Blood - Space Gallery
Spyrogyra - A Canterbury Tale
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Apr 25, 2010, 06:42
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 25 April 2010 CE
Apr 25, 2010, 06:39
Seem to have been struggling to find the time to listen to anything lately but have enjoyed these...

MAGIC LANTERN - s/t & High Beams

SUN ARAW - On Patrol

V/A - Deutsche Elektronische Musik 2CD

HAWKWIND - Live At The BBC 2CD

and some odds 'n sods from TALKING HEADS in the car + the usual tasty fare served up on Radio 6.

The unsolicited CD sent by the manufacturer of my new amp made me laugh, mind...

The Royal Harpsichord of George 3rd - yeah, whatever !
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Apr 25, 2010, 09:01
MGMT - Congratulations
Caribou - Swim
The Box Tops - The Best of the Box Tops : Soul Deep
Liars - Sisterworld Remixed
LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening
The Action - The Ultimate Action
Joe Meek and the Blue Men - I Hear a New World
John Cale - Paris 1919
Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle
The Michael Yonkers Band - Microminiature Love
John Coltrane - Ascenscion (Hard work this, but I got it eventually)
Thelonious Monk - Genius of Modern Music Vol. 2
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Apr 25, 2010, 09:02
Apr 25, 2010, 09:02
Sin Agog wrote:

MX-80 Sound - Out of the Tunnel/Crowd Control

pretty great band. A couple of live sets from about '78 turned up on Dime last year from a guy who was upping a lot of left field material at the time.
The Forcedexposure article on them was pretty classic. was the first time I'd read the history of a smalltown avant garage swimming-against-the-tide group.

Sin Agog wrote:

White Heaven - Out

I found the record far more pedestrian than the Forcedexposure etc reviews had led me to believe. Reminded me far more of Galaxie 500 than the QMS meets Black Sabbath it had been described as. I still like it though & live material I got from dime early on does veer much closer to the hype.

Sin Agog wrote:

Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul

I found a live '73 dvd on Demonoid that I've got to sit and watch. Had been hoping for some footage of him at his peak for ages. would have thought people would rush to release a stack of stuff on his death. I think there is a series of cd reissues trickling out but haven't heard much on the dvd front.
I think he also appears in Wattstax which again for some reason I've yet to watch.

Sin Agog wrote:

Spirogyra were a great band. I saw that compi going dead cheap in FOPP a while back but don't know if that'd repeat.
Singer sounds a lot like early Bowie in places. & lyricism is great.
As is the other, female singer.

Stevo
Np Caravan The world Is Yours disc4 All The Way
(have never listened to this late of them before, not as bad as I'd feared. Almost quite enjoyable.)
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Apr 25, 2010, 09:51
Popel Vooje wrote:
MGMT - Congratulations
Caribou - Swim
The Box Tops - The Best of the Box Tops : Soul Deep
Liars - Sisterworld Remixed
LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening
The Action - The Ultimate Action
Joe Meek and the Blue Men - I Hear a New World
John Cale - Paris 1919
Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle
The Michael Yonkers Band - Microminiature Love
John Coltrane - Ascenscion (Hard work this, but I got it eventually)
Thelonious Monk - Genius of Modern Music Vol. 2

What a great list. I particularly salute you'r choice of Joe Meek's I Hear a New World. It's wonderful! I got into this recently via a Joe Meek thread that I did. Tonestone recommended it, along with Vampires,Cowboys, Spacemen & Spooks comp. Great stuff.

Cale, Van Dyke Parks, Coltrane and Monk. I particularly love these choices as well. Going to spin them over the next few days.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Apr 25, 2010, 10:05
Miles Davis: Dark Magus / Bitches Brew

John Coltrane: Om

Fresh Maggots: Fresh Maggots

John Fahey: Blind Joe Death

Bert Jansch: Avocet

Dusty Springfield: Dusty In Memphis

Tangerine Dream: Ricochet

Stravinsky: Rite Of Spring (Dorati)

Holst: Planet Suite (Boult)

Ravi Shankar: Live In New york

John Martyn: One World

Sri Aurobindo: Return Into Earth

Earthling Socity: Tears Of Andromeda

Neotopia: BBC/Cellar Sessions

NOW PLAYING: Joe Meek & The Blue Men: I Hear A New World

plus various assorted individual tracks.

Have a good week ahead all.

:-)
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Apr 25, 2010, 11:56
Apr 25, 2010, 11:15
Stevo wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:

MX-80 Sound - Out of the Tunnel/Crowd Control

pretty great band. A couple of live sets from about '78 turned up on Dime last year from a guy who was upping a lot of left field material at the time.
The Forcedexposure article on them was pretty classic. was the first time I'd read the history of a smalltown avant garage swimming-against-the-tide group.

I love all of those whacked out, guitar-heavy Post-Punk bands from the U.S. Chrome, Flipper, MX-80. If a mental patient heard a Blue Cheer song and was told to do his best imitation of what he just heard, I'd imagine it'd sound something like those bands.

I wasn't really into MX-80 at first, for some reason. The vocals were too flat, the riffs too heavy metal. But I really dig their stuff now- the CD with Big Hits/Hard Attack is also worth hearing.

I'll look out for those live recordings.

Stevo wrote:

White Heaven - Out

I found the record far more pedestrian than the Forcedexposure etc reviews had led me to believe. Reminded me far more of Galaxie 500 than the QMS meets Black Sabbath it had been described as. I still like it though & live material I got from dime early on does veer much closer to the hype.

I agree. I kind of expected something more along the lines of Mainline, and what I got is an Engrish Stones/V.U. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just not essential. Their live stuff was released on an LP called Electric Cool Acid (Live 1987) and it definitely matched more with my mental image of the band.

I honestly think non-English speakers tend to be the most poetic with their leftfield takes on the English language, and that's one of the things I dig about this band. Rock poetry just seems way more palatable when translated to Japanese into Korean into Swahili and finally back to English. There are still dozens of Japanese psyche bands I'd check out before them, though. Listen to Marble Sheep's Old From New Heads, which features the guitarist from this band, for the real shiznit.

Stevo wrote:

Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul

I found a live '73 dvd on Demonoid that I've got to sit and watch. Had been hoping for some footage of him at his peak for ages. would have thought people would rush to release stax of his stuff on his death. I think there is a series of cd reissues trickling out but haven't heard much on the dvd front.
I think he also appears in Wattstax which again for some reason I've yet to watch.

Yeah, it's a pretty essential movie. That music is best appreciated when you can see the musicians' huge haircuts and bright pink zoot suits.

And I, uh, made a little correction to your post there... Hope you don't mind.

Stevo wrote:

Spirogyra were a great band. I saw that compi going dead cheap in FOPP a while back but don't know if that'd repeat.
Singer sounds a lot like early Bowie in places. & lyricism is great.
As is the other, female singer.

Definitely one of my favourite bands. I kind of wish we got to hear more of Barbara Gaskin's ridiculously gorgeous voice, but there are a lot of great female singers out there, and I think the thing that makes her sound so beautiful is the waiting game between Martin Cockerham's nasal Roger Chapman/Roger Woottony vocals and the next time you get to hear her sing. And I just realized I meant to type "Spirogyra." The less said about the other Spyro Gyra the better...
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Apr 25, 2010, 11:41
These days, I mainly just talk to plants and dogs:

Incredible String Band 'Incredible String Band', '5000 Spirits Or The Layers Of The Onion', 'Wee Tam' and 'The Big Huge' - superb new remasters, sounding better than ever before;

Paul Weller 'Wake Up The Nation' - good, not great, new platter from the modfather of misery, back to his workmanlike ways after the more adventurous - and superior - '22 Dreams';

Van der Graaf Generator 'Godbluff', 'Still Life' and 'World Record' - I've said this before, but I rate this to be the greatest consecutive trilogy of albums by any act in the history of rock and roll*. Just fourteen songs between them, encompassing pretty much every musical and emotive nuance possible from the human psyche. They're THAT GOOD, and I'm sticking to my guns here. Timeless, and nigh-on perfect.

Also played, and enjoyed:

Seals & Crofts 'Year Of Sunday' and 'Seals & Crofts'
Teardrop Explodes 'Wilder'
Cluster 'Curiosum'
Soft Machine 'Fifth'
Hugh Hopper Band 'Alive'

(* Thinking about this further, I considered the first three Caravan LP's for the same accolade, but rejected it because 'For Richard' bores me a bit these days - sacrilege I know for a Canterbury head, but it has that 'Locomotive Breath' effect on me, that being the overrated track that rules Tull's otherwise stunning second, third and fourth albums out of the reckoning. Other considerations? Well, the first three Roxy albums have very little to fault songwise - but Pete Sinfield's low key production of the first record is a serious flaw. Nick Drake's three proper albums also figure, but I can't quite put the home demo-like 'Pink Moon' on the same level as his first two. 'The Stooges' is excellent, but not as faultless as 'Fun House' or 'Raw Power'. Gong's 'Radio Gnome' trilogy is musically superb but marred by Daevid Allen's uncontrollable and very personal whimsy which hasn't worn well over the decades. No, I'm sticking with VdGG on this one!)
lord gazzington
72 posts

Apr 25, 2010, 11:57
Curtis Mayfield - Curtis
CSN&Y - Deja vu
Wooden Shjips - 1st album, Dos, Vol 2
Byrds - Sweetheart of the rodeo
AC DC - Iron man 2
Jimi Hendrix - First rays of the new rising sun
MGMT - Congratulations
Caribou - Swim