64 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 25 April 2010 CE
Apr 25, 2010, 11:41
These days, I mainly just talk to plants and dogs:

Incredible String Band 'Incredible String Band', '5000 Spirits Or The Layers Of The Onion', 'Wee Tam' and 'The Big Huge' - superb new remasters, sounding better than ever before;

Paul Weller 'Wake Up The Nation' - good, not great, new platter from the modfather of misery, back to his workmanlike ways after the more adventurous - and superior - '22 Dreams';

Van der Graaf Generator 'Godbluff', 'Still Life' and 'World Record' - I've said this before, but I rate this to be the greatest consecutive trilogy of albums by any act in the history of rock and roll*. Just fourteen songs between them, encompassing pretty much every musical and emotive nuance possible from the human psyche. They're THAT GOOD, and I'm sticking to my guns here. Timeless, and nigh-on perfect.

Also played, and enjoyed:

Seals & Crofts 'Year Of Sunday' and 'Seals & Crofts'
Teardrop Explodes 'Wilder'
Cluster 'Curiosum'
Soft Machine 'Fifth'
Hugh Hopper Band 'Alive'

(* Thinking about this further, I considered the first three Caravan LP's for the same accolade, but rejected it because 'For Richard' bores me a bit these days - sacrilege I know for a Canterbury head, but it has that 'Locomotive Breath' effect on me, that being the overrated track that rules Tull's otherwise stunning second, third and fourth albums out of the reckoning. Other considerations? Well, the first three Roxy albums have very little to fault songwise - but Pete Sinfield's low key production of the first record is a serious flaw. Nick Drake's three proper albums also figure, but I can't quite put the home demo-like 'Pink Moon' on the same level as his first two. 'The Stooges' is excellent, but not as faultless as 'Fun House' or 'Raw Power'. Gong's 'Radio Gnome' trilogy is musically superb but marred by Daevid Allen's uncontrollable and very personal whimsy which hasn't worn well over the decades. No, I'm sticking with VdGG on this one!)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index