Who's best: Lou Reed or John Cale?

85 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Re: Who's best: Lou Reed or John Cale?
Apr 28, 2010, 11:41
i'm gonna disagree a bit, just to give you a different angle = i'd grab "church of anthrax" (w/ terry fuggin riley!) + "the academy in peril" first off... both from early 70s + largely instrumental + brimming w/ ideas + spark ... i used to love "paris 1919", but in recent years i've been unable to listen to it ... something about the vocal delivery ... weirdly hesitant + "not right" ... maybe it's just me ... "fear" is pretty good, mind, but the 2 i mention uptop are the ones i reach for most.
As for lou, similarly i used to love "berlin" when i was a kid, but can't really bear it any more (last track excepted) ... but "street hassle", as an LP (not just the title track), has grown on me to the point where, MMM excepted, it's easily my favourite Lou rec. Great sound throughout that rec.
But "unbearable" is part of the appeal of Lou = "take no prisoners" is the most insane, unbearable, fucked up, WTF thing ... waaaaaay more difficult to sit thru than "MMM", but if yr in the mood for some comedy, it's a winner
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index