Who's best: Lou Reed or John Cale?

85 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Who's best: Lou Reed or John Cale?
Apr 24, 2010, 19:04
Sin Agog wrote:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYHIqMmtS-0] It seems to me that Cale is getting short shrift (is there such a thing as a regular-sized shrift?) as a melodicist and a songwriter here. His melodies were less reliant on rock 'n' roll archetypes than Lou's. He had the same ability as Bacharach, Brian Wilson and all those cats to just pluck a melody out of the air without ever letting genre come into the picture. And his lyrics... I can see how they might come across more than a little alienating, but I've never listened to anyone who had the same ability to make each line seemingly unrelated to the one before it but still part of a unified whole. Although whenever he gets a yen to write a really cathartic personal song, he always gets it dead right: Leaving it Up to You, Guts, Dying on the Vine.

I agree. Despite his extensive classical training, Cale is just as gifted a pop songwriter as Reed - the likes of "Vintage Violence" and "Paris 1919" prove that. Lou was definitely the principle driving force behind the V.U., but it's too simplistic to suggest that Cale was the avant-garde one and Reed was the pop one. I also think that Cale's solo catalogue is more consistent than Reed's, although they've both released some major clunkers ("Caribbean Sunset" and "Rock'n'Roll Heart" come to mind.

I'm also not sure how anyone with functioning neurons could describe as song as pregnant with emotion as "I Keep a Close Watch" as icy or detached!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index