Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 26, 2010, 07:48
Re: Who's best: Lou Reed or John Cale?
Apr 26, 2010, 07:43
Popel Vooje wrote:
Agreed about Reed's late 70s output - those albums on Arista were definitely his creative nadir (whatever he might think). I also take your point about Cale's early 80s stuff being recorded whilst he was in a genuinely fractured state of mind - but then that's why I like "Music for a New Society" (as well as "Kill City", "Loki", "Tonight's the Night" and all those other cathartic missives from rock-bottom-land.

Should I give "Music For A New Society" a second chance do you think? I am pretty squeamish when it comes to art born out of addiction and broken states of mind. Art about those things written out of observation is fine. It's when the Art itself is one of the broken bits falling off of someone's psyche that I don't want to look / listen.

I think you are right about the rest and the competetive thing certainly worked in Cale's favour. The less he did the more idiotic records Lou made.

Neve heard the Cale flexi. Will seek it out and I have just put all the Cale 70s albums on the top of my pile for the week. Looking forward to visiting Guts, SLow Dazzle and Helen of Troy again.

Oh and what's "Loki"?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index