Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Apr 24, 2010, 09:14
Re: Who's best: Lou Reed or John Cale?
Apr 24, 2010, 09:13
IanB wrote:
In the end it is a bit like the Lennon / Macca thing. Macca gets all the brickbats for being soft whereas it was Lennon who was the real musical conservative in the Beatles pre Yoko. They needed each other to make the best of that they had.

Good point. McCartney gets a lot of stick, largely brought on by himself due to his appaling lack of quality control and inability to self edit. This isn't helped by his determination to be a a Renaissance Man/All Round Entertainer/Available For Bar Mitzvahs etc., but it's all to easy to forget his former phenomenal genius. Pepper was his baby, he was more deeply involved in the production and formation of Tomorrow Never Knows than Lennon, the electrifying guitar break on Taxman was him, and a superb bass player, evidenced even more clearly in the recent remasters. When the balance of power shifted after the touring days, McCArtney, for all his faults re. 'granny music' and THAT song, kept The Beatles going. Lennon was lost in a confused pyschedelic haze of self analysis, and George Harrison had already found his unique trip. We wouldn't have the genius of the second period Beatles, or it's seismic musical and cultural influence
without McCartney. No matter how much he irritates me with his dyed hair, trainers with suits, astonishing taste in second wives ( nice one Ringo ),
thumbs aloft, professional scouser bit, I'll always let him off and look the other way in embarassment.

Sorry about the change in conversation Carlos. Had to get that off my chest. Anyway, as much as I respect Lou Reed, I just prefer John Cale as a creative artist.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index