Unsung Forum »
Who's best: Lou Reed or John Cale?

85 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Who's best: Lou Reed or John Cale?
Apr 28, 2010, 15:33
I'm a dabbler in both rather than an out and out fan but Lou Reed edges it over Cale for me by virtue that, in very general terms, he rocks more and more convicingly than Cale. And I like 'the rock'! A simple pleasure perhaps, but enjoyable all the same.

I love Cale's "Paris 1919" - Hanky Panky Know How is just wonderful. But Lou's stuff appeals on a more visceral level. Actually, as if the so-called art/rock division wasn't pronounced enough - notice how people so often call John Cale "Cale" and Lou Reed "Lou". Says quite a lot really.

I must say "Songs for Drella" is one of my all time fave albums because, above and beyond the songs being great (IMO), but it exists as a moment of genuine, evocative emotion - something that I feel is often elusive in the solo works of either artist. Not saying it's a prerequisite to a 'good' record as such, but, in this instance, it's such a powerful thing and works, albeit perhaps unconsiously, so well.
Lou and Cale (heh) actually letting the somewhat 'knowing' guard down a bit and just being in the moment, creating with and relating to each other and it paints a bigger, warmer picture than their solo efforts can.
They reached each other on that record and they reached out too, and it shows.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index