Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Who's best: Lou Reed or John Cale?
Apr 24, 2010, 08:49
singingringingtree wrote:
Sin Ago wrote:
And you could make a pretty good case that MMM was an attempt to rip-off/expand upon Cale's Sun Blindness Music.

for sure, completely .. but cale never had the balls to put this stuff out back then + reed did ...

not sure about balls, outlet might be more relevant surely? Only place he really could have released it was ESP/disk surely & he was under contract to Verve. There is about a minute of live Velvets on ESP on the East Village Other lp or something though.

velvets post-cale is a bit of a sham for me,

I think its still pretty good music. I keep hearing bits opf it as an update on the Sun label sound, maybe it's reverb or something. hopped up semi acoustic rock, possibly its the Gretch guitars?

but props to lou for being crazy/driven enough to get MMM out there ... i was listening to 1st Nico LP earlier today - "it was a pleasure then" = jeez, in a way best velvets track (n)ever ... instrumentally, just lou + cale going at it ... v fine indeed

It Was a Pleasure Then is pretty much a studio version of the Melody Laughter instrumental they used to play live. That Melody Laughter tune used to go on for as long as half an hour as the Columbus '66 set shows, a shorter excerpt is on the Peel Slowly & See box set.

Was going to say that people have been saying for the last 35 years that some of the idea for MMM seemed to be lifted from Cale, but seems I was partially beaten to it.

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index