Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Mar 15, 2010, 18:43
Shoegazer Recommendations
Mar 15, 2010, 18:40
Been revisiting Ride, catherine wheel, adorable, mr blind jones etc

Looking for obscurities and what you consider the best.

Thanks.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Re: Shoegazer Recommendations
Mar 15, 2010, 18:46
Pale Saints. Sea Of Sound is absolutely gorgeous and a true classic from a very good album.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Mar 15, 2010, 18:49
Weren't Chapterhouse among that number? Wasn't keen on the whole genre really but my room-mate at Uni was nuts about the lot of it - huge Ride fan and I seem to think she held Chapterhouse in similar esteem!
Jogga
Jogga
116 posts

Mar 15, 2010, 18:51
I had a great compilation sent to me from Northern Star Records. Band called Laboratory Noise are great. Check out Here she is evergreen.

also LGM Records have got some good bands onboard.

I'll be having Laboratory Noise on a podcast over the next couple of weeks

http://www.northernstarrecords.co.uk/

http://www.myspace.com/lgm4

Jogga
www.intheloft.tv
Jogga
Jogga
116 posts

Mar 15, 2010, 18:53
The Cult of Dom Keller too : )

www.myspace.com/domkeller

Jogga
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

Edited Mar 15, 2010, 20:14
Mar 15, 2010, 19:09
Spectrum - Glide Divine
Jesu - Conqueror
AR Kane - 69 / i
The Verve - Voyager 1 / She's a Superstar
Ultra Vivid Scene - S/T (Thanks to PBT for the reminder)
MBV - Loveless / Isnt Everything
Sundial - Other Way Out
Galaxie 500 - On fire
Ecstasy of St Theresa - Free D
Cranes - Forever
Seefeel - Quique
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Mar 15, 2010, 19:45
Probably worth checking out the series of Rough Trade Indiepop compilation cd's ... stuff that sounds a lot like

the Sarah label classic comp 'Air Baloon Road' ...
http://www.emusic.com/album/Various-Artists-Air-Balloon-Road-MP3-Download/11320979.html

Personal faves ... My Bloody Valentine, The Field Mice, Ultra Vivid Scene, The Nightblooms, Madder Rose, The Snapdragons (UK), Loop ... probably have to mention Marychain at some point ...
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

Mar 15, 2010, 20:07
Ultra Vivid Scene is a good call amazing band and again ahead of others in the game

Loop are immense but i never saw em as shoegaze same as Thee Hypnotics and The Telescopes they all had more of a fuzz/punk/kraut vibe and i always associate Shoegaze personally with that chorused/delayed sound of the Cocteau's and Ride etc . . and floppy fringe more than long hairs ;)
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Edited Mar 15, 2010, 20:43
Mar 15, 2010, 20:40
You have Catherine Wheel but do you have Rob Dickenson's 'fresh wine for the horses' I don't mind saying its the best cd I own by a fekkin long way. It toots massively. And has introduced musically staid types to guitarry music through the back door. At the very least get 'intelligent people' off it, I may be rose tinted but it brings to mind this place.

Yeah, I've been lisening to RIDE lately too, playingit in my shop, interested to see what folks recommend.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Mar 15, 2010, 20:55
As well as the obvious already mentioned, Slowdive and Lush (especially for "Sweetness & Light".

Really liked "Mercy Seat" by Ultra Vivid Scene. Chapterhouse were okay, but had too much press. Off on a bit of a limb from shoegaze were Kitchens of Distinction, bits of The Belltower, possibly even Curve in some respects.
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index