Shoegazer Recommendations

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Shoegazer Recommendations
Mar 24, 2010, 10:02
I'm not sure I'd lump Shoegazer and Dream Pop together as if there's no difference, either. I think almost all Shoegazer bands can be called Dream Pop, but most Dream Pop acts aren't Shoegazer. Never in a million years would I refer to Julee Cruise, Lisa Germano or Stina Nordenstam as Shoegazers.

Bah, all this genre fetishism can be kind of helpful, but I can't help but imagine it would have come across kind of bemusing 45 years ago, when it seemed that the only two types of pop music were Rock and/or Roll.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Mar 24, 2010, 10:23
Sin Agog wrote:

Bah, all this genre fetishism can be kind of helpful, but I can't help but imagine it would have come across kind of bemusing 45 years ago, when it seemed that the only two types of pop music were Rock and/or Roll.

to be historically accurate the drab mainstream stuff at the time like ' How Much Is That Doggie In The Window', The Andrews Sisters, and at its cutting edge Frank Sinatra and other bobbie socks favourites were all pop music. R'n'r arrived like the era's punk rock & shocked several by its heavy usage of rhythms taken from black music and not watered down heavily.
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Edited Mar 25, 2010, 16:01
Mar 25, 2010, 15:59
Jasonaparkes wrote:

Would we say that Damon & Naomi's 'More Sad Hits' counts? It's the one where Kramer came to the fore as Dean Wareham had split the band. Much more psychedelic than Galaxie 500 and some lovely vocals from both D & N that makes me wish they'd sung in G500 too. 'ETA' is absolutely perfect//heck, as is the rest - one that deserves the Unsung-treatment. Great cover of Hugh Hopper's Memories too and definitely the best record from any of the three of G500 since their demise...

I've gone out and bought More Sad Hits on your reccomendation so thanks.
The whole Galaxie 500/Luna thing passed me by at the time but are now some of my favourite records.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Mar 25, 2010, 19:00
Jasonaparkes wrote:

I recall Earwig, who I think were later re-tagged Insides were really decent.

Don't know earwig but Insides' Euphoria lp is pretty fine echoplexed guitar shimmer that shares some influence with folk. Very confessional lyrics.
Just made a mental link with Che era Disco Inferno but would have to heaer side by side to see if that had any basis.
Stevo
Np Cold Sun
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 26, 2010, 13:59
Just remembered a band I used to like that had something of a dalliance with shoegaze back in the day; The Heart Throbs.

Used to like 'em!
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Mar 27, 2010, 03:17
I do hope you like it...I wasn't a huge Galaxie 500 fan at the time...but loved the Rykodisc reissues...On a Guardian blog a poster/cock who had previously gone on about Swans went off on one about G500...someone else suggested 'More Sad Hits' was no good as no Dean Wareham. Then again, I have all the Luna-albums and don't think they made one great LP (a nice best of & b sides covers LP is available)...Will do an Unsung soon, hope you like 'More Sad Hits' - Damon & Naomi are touring soon, I shall see them at a pub in Bristol...
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Mar 27, 2010, 03:25
keith a wrote:
Jasonaparkes wrote:

*Fade Out/World In Your Eyes by Loop
*any of the Galaxie 500 reissues
*Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk
*the Rain Tree Crow LP
*Heaven Scent by The Perfect Disaster

I really can't see how any of these come under title 'Shoegazer Recommendations' personally!

Spirit of Eden?

My point here is that it was all very vague. Bands who were nothing to do with the 1991 tag were deemed that; had they turn up a few years before/decades after...

The problem with the derided shoegazing tag, or the derided US "dream pop" notion is that stuff happened musically that was related before, during, et after....

All the so-called shoe-gazing bands loved Spacemen 3, Loop, and Galaxie 500.

Ride supported G500 and aspects of the latter aren't far away from much shoegazing.

I think the generic tags miss out on lots - especially when most of those bands were into the Aphex Twin, MBV, and Talk Talk...and that Catherine Wheel got in the co-songwriter/producer on those key TT LP's. Likewise, This Mortal Coil, Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins, Banshees, etc pointed towards shoegazing...

Category is odd here; I know all of this as I worked in an Our Price in Maidenhead in 1990 with the bassist from Slowdive, har-de-har....
Monolith Cocktail
173 posts

Mar 27, 2010, 13:04
Just wondered if anyone had brought the latest album from shoe gazing Canadians - The Besnard Lakes.
It sounds amazing and takes in the sound of Ride and many other groups of the ilk.

I've written a pretty comprehensive review on my blog, if anyone's interested:-

http://monolithcocktail.wordpress.com/monolith-cocktail-010/

Dom Valvona
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited Mar 29, 2010, 20:47
Mar 29, 2010, 20:46
Used to be my thing, all that galaxie500 / ride / pale saints stuff. It does bugger-all for me these days. Insipid derivitive stoner cack in the main. Since I'm no longer an insipid derivitive stoner, I suppose my opinion was bound to change.

One that you might enjoy is an album called Magic Seed, by a Scandinavian band called "Easy". It had the obligatory fractal album cover, and has insipid derivitive stoner cack off to a "T", albeit with a Swedish accent.

http://www.last.fm/music/Easy/Magic+Seed
keith a
9573 posts

Mar 29, 2010, 21:04
Moon Cat wrote:
Bit tardy for this but I used have big love (for various reasons) for Curve.

They kinda threatened to get big with their bass-heavy, electronica tinged take on Shoegaze. They were certainly a big, loud thing live and they were fronted by the delectable Toni Halliday, who could most certainly cause thoughts of sauciness in the floppy of fringe back in the day.

Cuckoo still sounds pretty good, esp Turkey Crossing...
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index