Shoegazer Recommendations

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Shoegazer Recommendations
Mar 15, 2010, 21:00
Was wondering on the lack of mention of MBV. I thought they became the archetype after it had initially been JAMC. Posibly both transcended the genre as innovators are wont to do but I think they were the model others were working from.
& MBV had been an interesting garage band up to about '86.

Was wondering about bringing up Loop too since they seemed to be heavier than most and using rhythms imported from dub etc.

Could definitely reccommend the 1st couple of lps by Medicine, the band Brad laner moved onto after Savage Republic. They add a level of pure bliss to a sound leaning on MBV quite closely.

Also wonder about Band of Susans and Sky Cries Mary who just about fit the sound but also have other influences.
Bits of early Flaming Lips might just about fit too.

& Bark Psychosis were somewhat connected to the scene. as were Boo Radleys weren't they? was listening to a '93 set by them last night
Stevo
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Mar 15, 2010, 21:09
I'd forgotten spectrum, loved 'em.
Don't spose the New Fast Automatic Daffodils count as shoegazers though they were of that time as I remember (unreliable). I loved 'pigeonhole' though its probably the worst produced recording I own. They were much more polished with 'body, exit mind' but then I suppose they'd become a bit staid? I did'nt think so.
Do 'Blue Aeroplanes' count/ I don't think they ever considered their shoes as much as watched their 'fingering technique'(ooooooeeeer) and shades.
I loved their stuff.
But could'nt be arsed mostly as I looked so cool with my haircut, raybans, sharply cut apparel, well you get the picture.

Heh, digging out the spectrum (cassette I think) but, no I never did the cool!
pip pip
moc
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Mar 15, 2010, 21:42
had to go out shopping between reading the first couple of posts on this thread and coming back and commenting. as Iwalked out I thought Slowdive, possibly because I was thinking of Loop borrowing rhythms from dub/whatever. slowdive seemed to tie in with house didn't they?
Of course by the time I got back and commented I forgot to mention them.
Stevo
keith a
9573 posts

Mar 15, 2010, 21:45
thesweetcheat wrote:
As well as the obvious already mentioned, Slowdive and Lush (especially for "Sweetness & Light".

Really liked "Mercy Seat" by Ultra Vivid Scene. Chapterhouse were okay, but had too much press. Off on a bit of a limb from shoegaze were Kitchens of Distinction, bits of The Belltower, possibly even Curve in some respects.

I didn't buy the albums, but I loved the Pearl single by Chapterhouse.

UVS were great, but never saw them as showgaze myself.

One band that sort of comes into the equation were Bleach. From that period anyway. The early Ichabod period Boo Radleys weren't a million miles away either, though the fringe became an issue.

Had the misfortune to see Pale Saints live. I think it's the only time I've considered walking out of a gig.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Mar 15, 2010, 21:52
ToneStone wrote:
Sundial - Other Way Out

One of my favourite albums of all time. The gatefold vinyl was gert lush too.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Mar 15, 2010, 21:54
The main names overlooked from this thread so far I reckon are 5:30 and Eat.

Always loved a bit of Spritualized meself.
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Mar 15, 2010, 21:54
I bought that Boo Radleys CD (one with the 'alone again or' cover on it and 'Giant Steps') in the wonderful 'Replays' (sadly gone in southampton) as it was playing and loved the guitar sound. I was a denim clad grebo at the time. How disappointing they became, I had to walk away at Glastonbury....how often thats the case!
Ta, no more form me as I'm now embarassed
pip pip
moc
xxx
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Mar 15, 2010, 21:56
Lazarus was a winner though, eh?
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Mar 15, 2010, 22:20
mingtp....yes, have it on now, superb.
Triumph
and
Joy

bed time!
PAH!
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Mar 15, 2010, 22:33
Only know Shot Forth Self living by Medicine. Always sounded too MBVey to me, apart from the first track One More which is ace.

x
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index