Shoegazer Recommendations

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Mar 15, 2010, 22:51
Re: Shoegazer Recommendations
Mar 15, 2010, 22:49
In my opinion, some of the early-mid 90s stuff that got labelled as post-rock was so similar to the shoegazing bands as to be indistinguishable in all but name. The genre had faded from fashion by that time though, and as a result it became more interesting as the bands involved had nothing to lose in terms of popularity by stretching out and experimenting more. Still retained a lot of the characteristics of shoegazing nonetheless (guitars laden with Olympian banks of effects as lead instruments, wispy vocals always low in the mix, inaudible lyrics etc.)

Flying Saucer Attack, Bowery Electric, early Bardo Pond and Jessamine all spring to mind. if you can find it, the "Monsters, Robots & Bugmen" compo that Virgin issued in the mid-90s is an excellent primer on that area.

Many would contend that MBV invented it, but I'd say its blueprint is probably the Cocteau Twins.
LMan
LMan
763 posts

Edited Mar 15, 2010, 23:06
Mar 15, 2010, 23:06
I would add early Seefeel ("Quique") to the bands you mention.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Mar 15, 2010, 23:22
mingtp wrote:
The main names overlooked from this thread so far I reckon are 5:30 and Eat.

Always loved a bit of Spritualized meself.

Never saw Eat as shoegaze. I thought they were verging more towards a grebo PWEI/Ned's sort of thing.
Debaser
Debaser
241 posts

Edited Mar 15, 2010, 23:50
Mar 15, 2010, 23:47
zphage wrote:

and what you consider the best.

Mojave 3?

New stuff but well worth a listen

Exit Calm

Maps
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Mar 16, 2010, 00:12
god, just realising I'm getting Seefeel and Slowdive confused. It was Seefeel who had the house connections wasn't it?
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Mar 16, 2010, 02:03
thesweetcheat wrote:
mingtp wrote:
The main names overlooked from this thread so far I reckon are 5:30 and Eat.

Always loved a bit of Spritualized meself.

Never saw Eat as shoegaze. I thought they were verging more towards a grebo PWEI/Ned's sort of thing.

No doubt, but didn't they do a few tracks that were quite gazy, or is my memory getting addled by old age?

I bought Epicure off eBay for a friend a few years back - wish I'd kept it now, although I'm sure that makes me a despicable music "greed-head".
Lawrence
9547 posts

Mar 16, 2010, 02:45
Slowdive -- very underrated but good.
LMan
LMan
763 posts

Mar 16, 2010, 09:30
House? Well, they were remixed by Aphex Twin, and their second album was released by Warp.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Wooden Shjips?
Mar 16, 2010, 10:21
Listened to a live set by Wooden shjips last week & came away thinking
'quite shoegazey', so do they count?
Also heavily reminded of late 60s band Morgen every time I hear them.

Stevo
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Mar 16, 2010, 10:45
I was wrapped up in the whole shoegaze scene at the time. Had my fringe, hooped tops, beads, jeans and DM's/desert boots. Haha, great days. Saw Ride so many times in the early days.

Ride, Slowdive, Chapterhouse, MBV, Lush, Pale Saints, Moose, UVS.....

Played G'500 Today and the first two Slowdive Ep's on the weekend. Still sound great.

There's a good cd with Mojo this month called Dream Pop that has the likes of Cocteau Twins, School Of Seven Bells, Ruby Suns, Galaxie 500, Mercury Rev, Lawrence Arabia.......very good in fact. Is Dream Pop a modern way of saying Shoegaze? What about the whole Chill-Wave scene that's going on, that could be shoegaze in a way, similar influences and sounds but more orientated towards beach and sunshine vibes.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index