Shoegazer Recommendations

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
LMan
LMan
763 posts

Re: Shoegazer Recommendations
Mar 17, 2010, 13:04
Yes, I have that early stuff in the "In debt" cd, and is quite good but I still prefer their later stuff, more based in sampled sounds. Not only "D.I. Go Pop", they also made great singles like "It's A Kids World" or "The Last Dance".

Another band which hasn't been mentioned yet. The Ecstacy Of Saint Theresa anyone?
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Edited Mar 17, 2010, 13:46
Mar 17, 2010, 13:43
ToneStone wrote:

AR Kane - 69 / i

Great band. Unforunately tried to come back with that wish washy 'New Clear Child' I prefer that other journo term Dream Pop to describe them as when I think of shoegaze I tend to think of Ride type dudes staring at their FX pedals with weak vocals. Arkane had real variety to them as one listen to i would reveal
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Mar 17, 2010, 16:59
been going further afield, checking out:

Milltown Brothers
Kingmaker
Laxton Superb
Afterglow
Airstream
Darkside
Molly Half Head
Two Lost Sons

While these may have been better known in UK, totally unknown in US
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Mar 17, 2010, 19:12
zphage wrote:

Darkside

direct Spacemen 3 connections. I think half the band had been through them and they came from rugby too.
Stevo
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Mar 22, 2010, 20:03
Mar 22, 2010, 19:50
Bit tardy for this but I used have big love (for various reasons) for Curve.

They kinda threatened to get big with their bass-heavy, electronica tinged take on Shoegaze. They were certainly a big, loud thing live and they were fronted by the delectable Toni Halliday, who could most certainly cause thoughts of sauciness in the floppy of fringe back in the day.

Also, I have one album "Smear" by a Canadian band, Sloan, that straddles the line between heavy riff shoegaze and jangle pop with melodic aplomb. They had a nearly hit in the UK with the sublime "Underwhelmed" and an album track, "Take it in" has one of the best quite - loud riffs ever.

ps. Do you remember when Blur first appeared on the scene how they were kind of lumped in with the whole shoegaze thing? As were, gasp, Ocean Colour Scene?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Mar 22, 2010, 21:31
Moon Cat wrote:
ps. Do you remember when Blur first appeared on the scene how they were kind of lumped in with the whole shoegaze thing? As were, gasp, Ocean Colour Scene?

I remember an early Blur Select magazine cover on which they declared they'd "killed baggy". I have to say that the obsession the music press has with scene-creation was utterly ludicrous when it came to showgaze, much as it had been with Madchester/baggy: "Hmm, you're from Stoke on Trent? Is that near enough to Manchester? It'll do."
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Mar 23, 2010, 12:29
Stevo wrote:
zphage wrote:

Darkside

direct Spacemen 3 connections. I think half the band had been through them and they came from rugby too.
Stevo

I remember Melomania quite fondly, that was a good record if I recall correctly.
thekremlin
132 posts

Edited Mar 23, 2010, 12:40
Mar 23, 2010, 12:40
there's a band called Ringo Deathstarr who are pretty darned good in a MBV, mary chain kind of way. they're new-ish though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WY4hrxsF74
Rust Phimister
Rust Phimister
49 posts

Mar 23, 2010, 17:38
I agree with Forever by Cranes, and, though I prefer Jesu's debut, Conqueror is more shoegaze-y. Also Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde by Alcest is an unsung classic. In the more metal side of things, a shout out must go to The Angelic Process, whilst M83 channel elements of shoegaze on Dead Cities, Read Seas and Lost Ghosts, and on Before the Dawn Heals Us. Lush's Split is brilliant, as is Slowdive's Souvlaki, whilst The Radio Dept. have some nice tunes.
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Mar 23, 2010, 19:30
No doubt I'll probably mention what's already been listed. But I'd pick the following from the universe of dream pop & shoegaze and some related stuff:

*Quique by Seefeel
*Isn't Anything/You Made Me Realise/Feed Me With Your Kiss by MBV
*69 by AR Kane
*Fade Out/World In Your Eyes by Loop (the Hair & Skin Trading Company LP deserves to be checked out too)
*any of the Galaxie 500 reissues, though they hated the shoegaze-tag and preceded it by a few years (all going cheap in 2 disc reissues on domino between £6.93 and £8.99)
*The Singles by Spacemen 3 (especially for Transparent Radiation)
*Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk
*Hex & The Singles comp with Scum on by Bark Psychosis
*anything by Slowdive, though the 2nd & 3rd albums were best
*Gala & Split by Lush
*Smile & Nowhere by Ride
*Kinky Love by Pale Saints
*Giant Steps by The Boo Radleys
*the early singles comp inc. Suzanne by Moose
*the first e.p by Levitation
*the first two Chapterhouse e.p.'s and Pearl
*the Rain Tree Crow LP and the Fripp/Sylvian record aren't far away
*Ocean Beach and 'Rollercoaster' by Red House Painters
*Fridgid Stars by Codeine
*Mezcal Head by Swervedriver
*Pubic Fruit by Curve (their 1st three e.p.'s were fine)
*Heaven Sent an Angel by Revolver
*Ferment/covers e.p by Catherine Wheel - just reissued on Cherry Red
*Hellborine (sp) by Shellyan Orphan
*The House of Love stuff on Creation
*Hydra/Calm by Main
*A Storm in Heaven and the early singles like Gravity Grave, She's a Superstar and All in the Mind by The Verve
*The Buried Life by Medicine
*all three Ultra Vivid Scene albums, especially the 1st
*The Perfect Needle by The Telescopes
*Heaven Scent by The Perfect Disaster
*the EAR LP from 1995 (?)
*Sonic Boom's 1st solo LP and Soul Kiss (Glide Divine) by Spectrum
*the first three Kitchens of Distinction albums, especially Strange Free World - Railwayed, Aspray and Drive That Fast better early Bunnymen and have that shoegaze quality, a few years prior to the scene that celebrated itself...

I remember liking the Darkside LP at the time, though haven't heard in decades. Must go and dig out some Sun Dial....
Of bands that are more nu-gaze, I'm rather partial to Gliss, as well as bands influenced like the Jonestown, A Place to Bury Strangers, Maps, Ladytron, Nadja, The Warlocks, Jeniferforever (or whatever they'r called), School of Seven Bells, Secret Machines,Engineers, M83 etc
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index