Shoegazer Recommendations

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Dead Meadow?
Mar 16, 2010, 14:15
Another band that could conceivably be linked to shoegazer though they're more frequently linked to another genre -stoner rock.
I think Dead Meadow seem to lack that many links to metal, they're more melodic and don't seem to have stylistic trappings present and photos I've seen have been more moddish looking, short hair etc.
Also thought of 'Wombadelic' since fuzz/distortion on live sets I've heard tends to make you feel enclosed in the music.

Dunno how they'd feel about being called either though.
Stevo
Jogga
Jogga
116 posts

Re: Shoegazer Recommendations
Mar 16, 2010, 14:48
awww that'll be in my head all day now...thank you! beautiful : )
keith a
9573 posts

Mar 16, 2010, 16:54
Lazarus was great! They had their moments, didn't they? As has Martin Carr's Brave Captain.

Another showgazey band were Sweet Jesus...
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Mar 16, 2010, 19:24
Mar 16, 2010, 17:20
Stevo wrote:
god, just realising I'm getting Seefeel and Slowdive confused. It was Seefeel who had the house connections wasn't it?

They definitely had a foot in electronica - aside from the Aphex Twin remixes, their second album "Succour" pretty much ditches the guitars altogether in favour of a much more skeletal, sequencer based sounds. Mark Clifford's post-Seefeel project Disjecta is in that vein too.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Mar 16, 2010, 17:42
That IS a good freebie cd isn't it?

I'd forgotten about Lush. I bumped into the lead singer (her wi' the pink hair) in the toilets at that club in Camden, the name of which I can never remember - well if I'm honest my memories of that whole period of my life are blurred to say the least!) They were great. Time for a mosey down memory lane, methinks...
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Mar 16, 2010, 17:53
Talking of toilets and hair dye... Bleach - D'you remember them? Girl singer with cool hair and they had a great EP with a cover that was a pic looking into a birds nest with all the little chicks beaks open. Not sure they were card carrying members but around the same time as Ride etc. and they had thrashy churning guitars.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Mar 16, 2010, 17:57
Rings a very faint bell but I don't remember the EP. And I misread 'thrashing' guitars as 'thrushing', initially, possibly due to the bird's nest imagery.

I'm losing the plot, me. Ah well.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Mar 16, 2010, 18:51
Try Crane's 'Wings Of Joy'. They were derided for being Cocteau Twins wannabes, but personally I preferred them.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Mar 16, 2010, 19:03
ToneStone wrote:
... Thee Hypnotics and The Telescopes ...

Heh! I popped back with the express intention of mentioning those two!!
keith a
9573 posts

Mar 16, 2010, 19:05
Valve wrote:
Talking of toilets and hair dye... Bleach - D'you remember them? Girl singer with cool hair and they had a great EP with a cover that was a pic looking into a birds nest with all the little chicks beaks open. Not sure they were card carrying members but around the same time as Ride etc. and they had thrashy churning guitars.

Yeah, I liked them, esp Wipe It Away. A bit spirit of '77 with Honey Bane-like vocs. Really good live, too.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index