Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1707 posts

Re: Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue
Dec 04, 2009, 12:25
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
We've gone from the wild and free to the cool and relaxed and all over the place on this thread, but has anybody mentioned the great Charlie Parker? He may be considered a bit obvious, but I've just been listening again this afternoon to a couple of favoured compilations of his mid-40s stuff... early bebop... and he's still the man.

Ahem.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Re: charlie parker?
Dec 04, 2009, 12:31
The Sea Cat wrote:
Dog 3000 wrote:
The thing with Parker is he was SO influential, it's hard to hear his genius because everyone who comes after took some of his ideas. He was a revolutionary who changed jazz.

Start with the Dial sides from the late 1940's (Miles & Max Roach era stuff.) His 1950's recordings on Verve are spottier.

Absolutely spot on. I've only just noticed that Charlie Parker was overlooked, myself included. I've given myself a good talking to.

Apart from Hunter T Wolfe, obviously !
:-)
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Sha-ROCK!
Dec 04, 2009, 15:10
got it when Water reissued it. Is that still availabe?
veers between something almost mainstream and something pretty out.
Reminds me of Lanquidity by sun ra slightly too. that's him doing slinky funk a couple years later.
Stevo
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Re: Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue
Dec 04, 2009, 17:35
Stevo wrote:
Marie Maria gets slagged probably as much for her vocals on her boyfriend's lps as Yoko Ono & I think with more validity. She mars those last few, electric lps by Albert.

After 2 listens through, I really don't think her contributions are as dreadful as they have been made out. Apart from that one tune with the Irish/Jamaican hybrid accent attempt, I didn't find her vocals too intrusive. Overall, I'm enjoying the record - if it's supposedly one of his lesser works, it makes me very excited to hear Spiritual Unity/Love Cry/Greenwich Village etc.

Stevo wrote:
You might enjoy that record though. i think you're into pretty weird black music aren't you? Though there I think they're taking leads from white rock.

I guess I am. I mean, I was familiar w/ other 'Fire Music' records by the likes of Dolphy/Ornette/late Coltrane/Sun Ra/Sanders/Art Ensemble of Chicago/Cecil Taylor etc before I picked up that Ayler, so I had been 'scorched' before, & knew what I was getting myself into, to some extent. Agreed re: cues from white rock though, what with the utopian/hippie lyrics and that. Last track especially is pretty bluesy.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: charlie parker?
Dec 04, 2009, 21:14
Of course Parker is pretty solidly in the BEBOP camp -- which is a lot like "old timey jazz, sped up with less melody". Except the thing that made Parker special is that he had a tremendous sense of melody (especially compared to other beboppers -- sometimes it almost seems like a thrash metal thing, how fast can you shred on your instrument?)

But the Dial stuff includes a lot of tasty tunes.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index