"I hate the blues."

77 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 19:55
You do sound rude, but you also have a point keith, Julian can say what he wants on "his website". I just thought that since we're more or less all adults here, we can indulge in some critical analysis of a provocative statement of dubious merit.

re: "What's your point? That we should all conform?"

damn, how did we get there? I guess an artist can hate a color, but my point is that hatred closes the mind to understanding. If you hate the blues, you don't understand rock music, pure and simple. Blind Willie Johnson kicks his ass and he doesn't have the brains to realize it.

"If Julian Cope doesn't like the blues, so what?"

Fine, he doesn't like the blues. I don't like hip-hop but I wouldn't say "I hate hip-hop" or "I hate Julian Cope's music" because "hate" is too aggressive a term for my simply not caring about, or not enjoying those things. It indicates to me that he is a shallow and ignorant musician and a writer who doesn't put much thought into chosing his words.

If this site was just a Julian Cope ass-kissing fest I wouldn't bother coming here at all, but I value the site for the contributions of posters like Sethman and Dog3000, for the community of psych/space/kraut/jap/turk/whatever rock fans and sharing knowledge about great music. If this site was just for Julian Cope fans, it would be a pathetic site indeed.

I wanted to read an article about Blue Cheer that respected Dickie Peterson and what he stood for but I got some wasted moron pissing in his coffin and it ticked me off.

Would he have said "I hate the blues" to Dickie Peterson's face? Maybe.
Would Dickie give him the time of day after? Not likely. Would Dickie wince and walk away? I think so.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index