77 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Edited Nov 06, 2009, 20:57
Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 20:56
sakedelic wrote:

I just thought that since we're more or less all adults here, we can indulge in some critical analysis of a provocative statement of dubious merit.

Maybe it's just me but what exactly is so 'provocative' about the following sentence when you read it in full?

"So was it blues after all? Who knows? Search me, I hate the blues and love Blue Cheer, so what does that say?"

sakedelic wrote:

If you hate the blues, you don't understand rock music, pure and simple.

Depends how you define 'rock music'. You don't need to like Little Water to understand Joy Division.

Personally I like both though I can't stand what Cope calls "Robert Cray’n’Elick Crapton Authenticists", which is probably at the heart of Cope's statement.

sakedelic wrote:

I wouldn't say "I hate hip-hop" or "I hate Julian Cope's music" because "hate" is too aggressive a term for my simply not caring about, or not enjoying those things.

It's a turn of phrase here. I'd definitely say "I hate Clapton's music" rather than "Eric Clapton makes music I have never given a shit about", but I suspect there's not a world of difference between the two.

sakedelic wrote:

It indicates to me that he is a shallow and ignorant musician and a writer who doesn't put much thought into chosing his words.

That's one big assumption just because a bloke said he doesn't like the blues.

sakedelic wrote:

If this site was just for Julian Cope fans, it would be a pathetic site indeed.

I disagree. The majority of folk here are Cope fans to some degree, but his music has gone off in so many directions that his 'fan base' is pretty wide - hence the arguments between Cope fans!

sakedelic wrote:

I wanted to read an article about Blue Cheer that respected Dickie Peterson and what he stood for but I got some wasted moron pissing in his coffin and it ticked me off.

What are you talking about?

He calls him the 'late, great' and writes god knows how many words on how great he thought a couple of his albums were. How does that make him "some wasted moron pissing in his coffin"?

Still, we both know you don't need much excuse to have a pop at Julian do you? It must seem big and clever to go on someone's website and pick fault with the man and wind his fans up.

sakedelic wrote:

Would he have said "I hate the blues" to Dickie Peterson's face? Maybe.
Would Dickie give him the time of day after? Not likely. Would Dickie wince and walk away? I think so.

I suspect he wouldn't be that arsed to be honest. Most people don't wince and walk away in real life when someone says they hate something that the other likes. Not in my world anyway.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index