"I hate the blues."

77 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3679 posts

Re:
Nov 07, 2009, 10:59
keith a wrote:
I think my age bracket - those of us who were very, very young when the Beatles started having hits - was possibly the last to like The Beatles unconditionally. I remember learning that people a few years younger than me didn't like them. Until then it seemed that everyone did!

My theory is that they weren't "theirs" (they weren't really my generation's either but we grew up watching it happen) and they had grown up with the Beatles shoved down their thoats. It was an unwitting rebellion!

But critically I'm not sure they ever went away. Sure What's Going On replaced Sgt Pepper as the best ever LP in a lot of critics polls, but the likes of Pepper and Revolver were always up there somewhere.

Although I bought the re-mastered Abbey Road recently, and enjoyed it hugely, as a rule I don't really feel the need to play The Beatles that often, probably because you an get exposed to them in other ways.

But I rememember when George died. The sense of loss took me by surprise and made me realise just how important the Beatles were to me, regardless of how often I play them. A trip to the Beatles Museum with Mr Tones a few years back inspired a similar reaction.

The sacking of Matlock because he liked The Beatles was surely just a piece of publicity though. I thought it was funny. Elsewhere, punk/new wave artists weren't shy of covering them, were they? The Damned, Siouxsie, Radio Stars straight off the top of my head. They may have decimated the likes of Help and Helter Skelter in some folks eyes, but these were all people who would have grown up listening to The Beatles - even the rather older Radio Stars!

Hit the nail on the head Mr A, couldn't agree more, I was surprised when I saw McCartney with Neil Young what a rush it was to hear a Beatle live. The Beatles are part of my DNA, i dont feel a need to listen to them often, but I never turn it off when do
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index