77 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Nov 06, 2009, 22:54
Re: bloooz
Nov 06, 2009, 22:52
Writers often get hyperbolic when writing about music (especially if they are musicians themselves!)

On the one hand, nothing is more boring than "blues" worshipping old hacks like Clapton and the Rolling Stones. But then, I wouldn't call that BLUES music per se, hence the quotes around "blues." It's more like "blues-flavored popular music."

"Real blues" is more like folk music. If you want to get technical, it's a pentatonic scale and a bunch of conventional chord changes (I - IV - I - V - IV - I etc.)

I hardly ever listen to any "blues" unless it's some sort of mutated blues-based-but-not-"blues" music like The Stooges.

However as a musician, I use blues riffs constantly, as does most everyone else. It's the vocabulary of most rock/folk as well as popular music.

One of my favorite raps on the blues was something J. Lennon said once upon a time about how "the blues is a chair" -- meaning it's a foundation/support more than "art in and of itself." You can do just about anything in that "chair", it doesn't really imply good or bad, it's just a framework.

(I think Julian probably gets it, but is just exagerating to make a point. Like that Bangs/Hendrix "interview", which is a classic.)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index