Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Edited Nov 06, 2009, 17:03
"I hate the blues."
Nov 06, 2009, 16:54
Was just trying to read JC's screed on the Godlike Genius of Blue Cheer when I got stopped dead in my tracks by that sentence.

"I hate the blues."

When I was a young idiot of 17, I believe I said that very same thing.
I thought I knew what I was talking about, but I very surely did not have a clue.

A rock musician saying "I hate the blues," is like a painter saying "I hate blue," a chef saying "I hate bluefish". Like a punk saying "I hate rock music".

I love Blue Cheer. I loved Blue Cheer in the 80s, more than 5 years before JC thinks anyone loved Blue Cheer.

Julian Cope makes music I have never given a shit about and he doesn't know what he's talking about when he writes about rock music.

Gauntlet thrown.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:01
Wow! I noticed that line too...
I'm not going to throw him to the sharks over it though.
For what it's worth, i too own all the Blue Cheer LP's since the 70's. And some made afterwards too. When i got them, i didn't know about it being COOL. I just liked the music. Dickie was the real deal.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Nov 06, 2009, 17:06
Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:05
I took it to mean that he is fed up with the sheer blind (lemon) reverance that one is expected to have for the blues; that it somehow exists beyond any critical evaluation (like yer oft- repeated'classic albums' lists etc) and all of it is always all good because it is THE BLUES.

You know, the same way people get fed up with The Beatles, Dylan et al.
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:08
that's being very kind to JC to read all that into a simple declarative statement.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:11
sakedelic wrote:
Was just trying to read JC's screed on the Godlike Genius of Blue Cheer when I got stopped dead in my tracks by that sentence.

"I hate the blues."

Julian Cope makes music I have never given a shit about and he doesn't know what he's talking about when he writes about rock music.

Gauntlet thrown.

That's fine - if you don't like Cope's music then you're bound not to agree with lots of his music writing! Anyway, it's not like he's saying blues had no influence on rock, he's just saying he doesn't like it! Nowt wrong with that!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:14
I think he's saying he wants a riot of his own.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:15
IIRC he's said it before too. I'm not quite sure how you can "hate the blues" when you make a living from music derived from the blues. I suspect he means that he doesn't like "traditional" blues i.e. Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf etc. I'd be interested to hear JC flesh out his reasons though.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:15
Just saying what I see dude, and that's how I saw it. I mean, JC is not above making provocative, often contradictory statements these days.

And having songs like Autogedden Blues and Creedist Blues, to name but two, in your repetoire is hardly indicative of a total disavowal of the form.

Think he's blurting out again meself.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 06, 2009, 18:51
Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:17
Moon Cat wrote:
Just saying what I see dude, and that's how I saw it. I mean, JC is not above making provocative, often contradictory statements these days.

And having songs like Autogedden Blues and Creedist Blues, to name but two, in your repetoire is hardly indicative of a total disavowal of the form.

Think he's blurting out again meself.

Well yes. It's like those pea brains in 76 who swore off virtually all the rock music of the preceeding 10 years and are now out rebuying the records they pretended they didn't own 34 years ago.

You can take the rock n roll star out of adolescence etc etc ...
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:19
I likeJulian Cope's music immensely, but don't care about his opinions re. the blues or any musical styles whatsoever. I listen and make my own judgement. All rock owes a huge debt to Muddy Waters hitting Chicago, including JC. Howling Wolf is/was a force of nature and absolutley incredible, as are Son House, Leadbelly, Robert Johnson, Elmore James, Lightning Hopkins etc etc.
Without these guys, no Elvis, Buddy Holly, Beatles, Dylan, and all the other luminaries who opened the door for all the others including Julian.. I get fed up with what's currently 'cool' or 'overfamiliar'. Great Music is Great Music. That's That.
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index