77 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re:
Nov 07, 2009, 14:57
The Sea Cat wrote:

I'v only recently statrted my deep Krautrock love, but am I right in thinking that this was spared Pol Punk Pot scourge ?

Most people who were into 'progressive/underground' music were usually into 'krautrock', eventhough more or less any music that was made by people with long hair, was always lumped together before 1976, especially as there were only three main music papers catering to such interests, although it was mainly blurting on about Led Zep, Dylan and anything that could be described as 'denim rock'.

A lot of debates and things at the time of 'uk punk', were also engineered by the muso journalists, although this came into being during the latter half of 1977/first half of 1978.
Mclaren, Rhodes etc. did their sufficient 'media engineering' a whole year before of course, which took no prisoners at all.
The actual hype of 'uk punk' at the time, especially within the music weeklies, would put all this X Factor hype to shame and to be fair, the best music paper was Sounds, as regards really jumping ship early on.
Their whole layout and typeface changed for the better and left the NME and MM looking ridiculous by late '77.
As m.elf stated- Lydon did mention his love for Can and later Pete Shelley also voiced his his love for them via some sleeves notes for the german innovators (not forgetting it was also a ruse by the United Artists label, to which both 'acts' were contracted to!).

Plus, a lot of the 'garage electronic bands' (as they were initially called) like Cabaret Voltaire, TG, Residents and Devo etc. were voicing influences from the german outfits.
This influenced the rest of the mindset, as everyone (bands and fans alike), seemed to be cacking themselves as being viewed as stale or unhip (which exists to this day in a smaller form), whilst everyone was waiting for the 'next new thing', so as to not get caught out again and made to look stupid.

Everything was word of mouth of course and not laid out in front of you like the internet, adding to that the notion of 'chinese whispers' and things got very distorted, in most cases for the better, especially as younger people were taking up the baton and experimenting.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index