77 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Nov 07, 2009, 12:45
Re:
Nov 07, 2009, 12:37
I had to do it all myself really. My Mum was into Buddy Holly/Elvis Scott Walker. She had the taste. She was of the Rock n Roll generation and the music of the sixties more or less passed her by as she was too busy trying to raise a familly in a bad marriage. My Dad was strictly Jim Reeves, Engelbert etc and corny Irish C & W maudlin shite. To be fair, he was 30 in 67 and came from an impoverished Irish rural background where radiograms and 'musical taste' did not exist. He just soaked up all the Kilburn pub weepies really.
Punk completely passed me by, and because I went to a private school in Surrey, Prog was the order of the day in the late 70's/early 80's. it was all Genesis, Rush, ELP etc. I was a deliberate snob by being into Yes and thinking I was far deeper (!kin'ell!). I still think that punk, although necessary in a lot of ways, unfortunately produced a long lasting blinkered inverted snobbery that lasted for many years. At last, you can have an intelligent conversation about Caravan, Van der Graaf, Gentle Giant etc. without some sneering faux private hedged urban warrior deriding anything approaching visionary musicianship. Now, all of a sudden, everyone loved Led Zep all along, and never said the the Beatles early output was utter shite !
Interesting how this attitude of fanatical prog hatred was never adopted in Europe for example, purely an Anglo thing. Maybe it's got something to do with our innate inability to appreciate our own ethnic musical roots, as a suprised Joe Boyd pointed out in White Bicycles.

I'v only recently statrted my deep Krautrock love, but am I right in thinking that this was spared Pol Punk Pot scourge ?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index