Re: PIL Metal Box
Sep 25, 2008, 11:13
I've mailed you
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Sep 25, 2008, 11:15
Ta - that'll be my home email, so I won't get it until this evening.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Edited Sep 25, 2008, 11:25
Sep 25, 2008, 11:24
If you can't wait - there are clues to his identity on the Fall(en) thread.....

but the one on the right is yours truly
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Sep 25, 2008, 11:48
[/quote]

"Y" was more important to me in terms of *what* was being played, said and sung. Mark Stewart has more to say to me than Lydon.

If there was a dub version it would be in my top five but Johnny is a pretty crappy writer and other than his views on the church he and I don't really see the world the same way.

[/quote]

I judge the album solely on the musical and not lyrical merits. I find Lydons lyrics on bollocks very simple meat and potatoes writing which to be honest
in '77/78 was just what was needed in terms of listening to the twaddle being churned out by Topographic oceans YES etc. It connected because it was simple and to the point but a Rimbaud he aint.

Metal box, well I dont listen to the lyrics at all I just find them as a part of the music and in some places where he feels likes he's got something to say a little too loud and irrelevant.

...and i've yet to see concrete tar

I dont even categorise it as Dub or kraut or whatever and You cant really say the same about dub housing or 'Y'. They are basically albums of their own ilk and that's what makes them masterpieces (though I prefer the Modern dance to DH).

Nothing before or since.
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Sep 25, 2008, 11:49
aaww those bloody quote things!!!
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Sep 25, 2008, 12:01
"'Memories' in particular with that bit about a quarter in, where the whole sound changes, as Lester Bangs noted "It's something I've never heard someone do in the middle of a track, the grooves start to burn themselves away"

...that's a great moment as is the moment when Chant turns into Radio 4.

'Spectre vs Rector' by the Fall has a great sound change too as does a few Bob Wyatt tracks - as he's added bits sometime a year later.

8)
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 25, 2008, 16:11
I don't know how they did that effect on "Memories". They must've switched mikes from different parts in the studio or something...
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Sep 25, 2008, 16:55
I was thinking that the first quarter was quite heavily reverbed and trebled with no middle and they switched of the reverb and brought in the midrange hence a fuller compact sound than the opening part
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Sep 25, 2008, 17:36
I love it. It's a one-off and highly individual record that still sounds as fresh today as it did then. I'm glad it's been released on CD because my record player could never handle the bass frequencies on the vinyl version, so it was always jumping (Mastered that way as a deliberate wind-up perhaps? Wouldn't be surprised).

I always thought Lydon got the idea for the sound change in "Memories" from Neu's "Fur Immer", mind, as there's a section in that track that abruptly shifts gear in a very similar way. They both sound as though they were created by splicing two seperate mixes of the same song together. And everyone knows about Klaus Dinger's influence on the young Johnboy.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 25, 2008, 17:47
Sep 25, 2008, 17:44
That's fair. I put those records together because of their bass dominence and the similar non-trad non-rock use of the electric guitar and that the bass players and drummers had some facility for incorporating funk into the band's own idiom.

I tend to listen to records from the bottom up and I only really notice lyrics if they are either brilliant or, terrible and delivered with either great or negligible aplomb. So the similarities I hear are deffo from a bass player's perspective.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index