Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 28, 2008, 11:14
Re: Generic Supersessions
Sep 28, 2008, 10:13
dave clarkson wrote:
"Yeah he's a bit of a pantomime dame etc but christ, better than the coffee table muso hell Wobble indulges himself in (see Sinead O'Connor for one!)"

...on the contrary dearest Shanshee ;-) Have you heard Wobble's Deep Space band? Check out 'Five Beat' - an album which makes Metal Box sound like a cheap tin can.

As a celeb, I think Lydon is great but musically he hasn't done anything worthwhile since Open Up apart from a few good Pistols shows. He's living in the past and can't find a way forward.

8)

Glad to see someone sticking up for Wobble. His body of work is a bit patchy but he's made a serious commitment to putting stuff out that is forward-thinking (not to mention also running his own label and being his own manager and booking agent etc).
keith a
9576 posts

Sep 28, 2008, 11:49
I take your point, but if Lydon released an album with or without the Pistols or whatever incarnation of PIL, I'd want to hear it. As long as he put the effort into making that record he could have spent the last 10 years lying on a beach reading Jackie Collins novels whilst gently sipping pina colada's for all I care.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Sep 28, 2008, 13:44
....as well as a great musician (oops shouldn't say that!) he's a nice guy too when we helped him load up his van after a gig.And what a gig!....thought the venue was going to crumble at one point with the bass frequencies. The band had Philip Jeck and Clive Bell in it too.

A violinist I know, Graham Clark, played in his band and told me the induction into his group involved a long hike in the Peak District rather than a jam session.

8)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 28, 2008, 17:36
He did. It was called "Psycho's Path". It was rubbish.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Sep 28, 2008, 18:09
Re: Generic Self-indulgence
Sep 28, 2008, 18:06
IanB wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
Or are musos really just hacks who just doodle around and can't write a decent song if their life depended on it? There are lots of good musicians that do really amazing things (Vini Reilly for one!) I think it more depends on what you do with that talent once you have it...

Indeed. Which makes it a wholly subjective critical term and not a descrition of what someone is or does. We might as well say "boring" or "self indulgent". Except "muso" sounds like it might vaguely technical and possibly even objective. Vini Reilly is not a muso but he is an inveterate doodler. Coltrane was a doodler but hardly a muso. Blah blah.

It's all personal critical bias in the end. One man or woman's waste of space and is someone else's genius. One listener's drug addled waster is another's visionary. Either way music is a lot enjoyable when all notions of cool are dispensed with. Which is why those blind tests they used to run (may still run) in The Wire were so interesting.

For my bit, the phrase self-indulgent is always the sound of cop-out to me anyway.
I've always found the term "self indulgent" to be one of the most pointlessy divisive, self-defeating and appallingly, uselessly, dullard of terms applied in culture, let alone fuckin' pop-music. Yes, I understand that in a rock n'roll context there is a tendency to gravitate to easy targets like prog and concept albums et al.

But all performance, recording, music, writing, poetry and fuck knows whatever medium that you, the "artist", communicate your "art", "ideas" and so on is, by its very nature 'self-indulgent'. I don't give a rats cock whether it's an 18 hour guitar solo, a 2 minute polemic lo-fi-thrash, an installation or a funny picture you've done on a beer mat to amuse your mates in the pub - If you put it 'out there' then you are ultimately asking people to look at, listen to, maybe at the same time, consider, judge, think about, even if it's for milliseconds, an act, a thing of some sort that YOU have created, or introduced into the world. It seeks attention. And, once you've got the attention then hopefully , someone, somewhere will give you a hint of approval. Or rejection. But, you are asking people to look and listen and beyond.

This post is self indulgent.

Self -indulgence is always gonna be "yeah, ok" or "fuckin GREAT!" if you like the thing before you. If not, then it'll be crap.... and maybe self-indulgent crap at that.
keith a
9576 posts

Sep 28, 2008, 23:26
Was it really that bad? I haven't played it in years. Must dig it out...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 29, 2008, 10:39
My memories of it are along the lines of "Hmmm, someone said that the Prodigy are like the Sex Pistols of dance music. Hold on, I was in the Sex Pistols. Could it be that I could.... Why yes, of course!!!" Except no, not really.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Sep 29, 2008, 12:55
dave clarkson wrote:
....as well as a great musician (oops shouldn't say that!) he's a nice guy too when we helped him load up his van after a gig.And what a gig!....thought the venue was going to crumble at one point with the bass frequencies. The band had Philip Jeck and Clive Bell in it too.

A violinist I know, Graham Clark, played in his band and told me the induction into his group involved a long hike in the Peak District rather than a jam session.

8)

Good story with perhaps just a touch of the Kevin Rowlands about it!
Penske666
161 posts

Re: PIL Metal Box
Sep 30, 2008, 12:40
It's a damn fine album, sir. Especially when compilied with the nifty Paris au Pritemps at full volume :)

...and the cassette played...
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index