Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: 13th Floor Elevators Cd's
Mar 03, 2008, 09:36
Citizensmurf wrote:
marinade wrote:
Yeah, that CD box is good. Everything you need, really, if you're not bothered about each album in its original packaging.

I'm about six chapters into that book, btw. I never realised they were such dropout fuck-ups before they even formed the band!

Ordered the box and a copy of the new Guitar Army (which is mentioned by JC this month coincidentally).

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but everytime I read a music biography, about how these mind-expanding drugs turn into a full blown life crashing addiction, just makes me sad that the cycle continues to repeat itself, and that 'recreational' drugs are so easily justified. Though I love his music, I can't agree with JC about the whole psychedelic journey thing. What he said in Japrocksamper about High Rise not being a true psych band because they're never taken a 'trip' is complete bullshit and in my mind is the same dogma churned out by the christians that you have to accept Jesus into your heart or you are bound for hell.

I know I'm in the minority when it comes to some music fans, but I think music is best made and listened to in a sober state.

Disagree strongly, I'm afraid. In fact, I think I think the opposite! This is, after all, "Psychedelic music" we are talking about. It is written by people tripping for people tripping. The fact that it can still be enjoyed straight is almost by the by.

FWIW, I've got the boxset, and think it is great value for money.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index