89 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2008, 15:49
Re: 13th Floor Elevators Cd's
Dec 14, 2008, 15:47
http://finerecordingstudio.com/g45central/viewtopic.php?t=828&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Found this thread on another site and Paul made some further comments:

"Hi, Paul Drummond here ....compiler ...I'm not going to say producer of the Elevators box set. Just wanted to put one thing straight Charly have had absolutely nothing to do with this box set apart from foot the bills. They own the rights and wanted to do this themselves but instead they let me (& Roky's manager take over, plus the band's blessing) approach it in a very Epicurean way... touch nothing unless it needed fixing. Charly have been brilliant, by not interfering...they just let me head to Texas and get on with it. The band's original engineer /producer, Walt Andrus was flown in from California to remaster and remix (where multi tracks existed) ....
Re: YGMM Take 6 and all the Contact material - it has been out before but it was tampered with. This time it's straight off the tapes, with Walt producing (and on occasion Roky)-so forget what you heard twenty years ago....
Apart from that it's almost everything that exists ....bar a couple of live tracks which I couldn't squeeze on- so they were left off in favour of unreleased material.
Four possible sources held out on unreleased material. Not going to name and shame them, but they gave very feeable excuses considering the original band were involved in the project.
The full colour book has to be £25/30 itself so the Cd's work out pretty cheap ? Every known poster/handbill and as many photos as could be licensed , begged , cajoled out of people over eight years..."

and later on said

".... The Elevators box set doesn't include the straight stereo Lps of Easter and Psychedelic Sounds.... however amongst Charly's stash of tapes stereo dub of the original tapes made in 1976 for Masterphonics reissues . BTW Masterphonics pressings are actually rarer than originals and don't exist for the other 2 lps.

Hopefully after the box set is out I'll try and do a double Cd reissue of the Mono/Stereos and maybe the Red Crayola material.

None of the IA singles appear to still exist on tape....but two track stereo- mixed down masters exist for all the lp's .... I went through all the unmarked tapes and the only unreleased material was 3 reels of studio chatter from the Lightnin' Hopkins sessions - basically they left the tape rolling ..."

That clears some things up.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index