13th Floor Elevators Cd's

Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

13th Floor Elevators Cd's
Feb 29, 2008, 23:27
Almost done reading Eye Mind (fabulous book by the way) and thought I'd expand my listening collection of this band. Can anyone tell me which of the cd re-issues of the 4 albums is worth buying. Some seem to have bonus tracks, and then there is a boxed set of all 4 for a decent price.

Also, are there any bootlegs (silver cd) worth tracking down?
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Re: 13th Floor Elevators Cd's
Mar 01, 2008, 00:50
Get the box, you will want eveything, it should be $20-30.

All cds are going to sound pretty similar, the masters have been lost.
Johnny Boy
Johnny Boy
103 posts

Mar 01, 2008, 07:29
The following was posted on the Lama Workshop part of the Lysergia website late last year...

"The master tapes for all three studio albums by the 13th Floor Elevators have been located, along with a bunch of other I A reels. The Elevators material is either in the form of mixdown master reels, or safety dubs from mixdowns. Reportedly this was all sitting in Charly's vault while they were churning out vinyl-sourced, crap-sounding reissues. Weird, huh? In any event, the 30-year Quest is over. Not to say that this means they will be released next month, or even next year... but the master recordings are in existence, and people can stop asking."

Now, its just a matter of keeping our fingers crossed!!
sttomas
sttomas
1123 posts

Mar 01, 2008, 11:37
£12 on amazon UK!!
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Mar 01, 2008, 14:05
Mar 01, 2008, 13:56
Wow, thanks Johnny Boy. This is great.

Also I see in May Sundazed is issuing Ist Lp on Vinyl.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 01, 2008, 17:38
Go 8 Track
Mar 01, 2008, 17:37
Somewhere out there / in here there is a link to a download of all 4 albums in the 8 track cartridge mix versions. I've grown to prefer them to any other versions I have heard going back to the Radar pressings in 78 or whenever it was. You hear a lot more detail on those than the cd or vinyl.
marinade
marinade
306 posts

Mar 01, 2008, 22:22
Yeah, that CD box is good. Everything you need, really, if you're not bothered about each album in its original packaging.

I'm about six chapters into that book, btw. I never realised they were such dropout fuck-ups before they even formed the band!
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Mar 01, 2008, 23:47
marinade wrote:
Yeah, that CD box is good. Everything you need, really, if you're not bothered about each album in its original packaging.

I'm about six chapters into that book, btw. I never realised they were such dropout fuck-ups before they even formed the band!

Ordered the box and a copy of the new Guitar Army (which is mentioned by JC this month coincidentally).

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but everytime I read a music biography, about how these mind-expanding drugs turn into a full blown life crashing addiction, just makes me sad that the cycle continues to repeat itself, and that 'recreational' drugs are so easily justified. Though I love his music, I can't agree with JC about the whole psychedelic journey thing. What he said in Japrocksamper about High Rise not being a true psych band because they're never taken a 'trip' is complete bullshit and in my mind is the same dogma churned out by the christians that you have to accept Jesus into your heart or you are bound for hell.

I know I'm in the minority when it comes to some music fans, but I think music is best made and listened to in a sober state.
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

Mar 02, 2008, 15:00
yikes, no. I no longer smoke weed and haven't for a while and I have not taken a trip in years and years but I am glad I did...it revealed to me so much I had never thought of/experienced before and I cannot imagine NOT knowing what I now know. Muisc IS different when on cannabis and way, ultra, mega different when on psychedelics...it's an amazing, life affirming thing...and something I look at seaprately from all the people whose lives 'came crashing down.' Most of the time rockers lives are strewn apart it's because of heroin or other opiates which do not enhance music at all, trust me, I know.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Mar 02, 2008, 17:53
The Psychedelic World box is pretty great. I don't think the liners were that helpful but since you've read Eye Mind you have the main points anyway.

As to the individual reissues I think Spalax were widely held to be the best & Collectibles the worst. The latter apparently to a laughable point.

Will be interested to hear remasters from the masters though.
I love Easter Everywhere. Love its jazz in rock influence.
Do think Eye Mind explains that sound through Tommy Hall's continual exposure of neophyte trippers to his jazz record collection. That coupled with the new rhythm section's previous experience.

Must dig out the Psychedelic Sounds disc since listening to disc1 of I have Always Been Here Before leaves me thinking I've been missing something
Stevo
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index