56 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Jan 22, 2008, 23:05
Re: Guns N Roses Chinese Democracy
Jan 22, 2008, 22:34
I am certainly not defending GNR -- they were hardly a "favorite" of mine in the 80's, but their debut was one of the very few current records I had at that time cuz it sounded a whole lot more "alive" than anything else on the radio (mostly I was all over Floyd, Zep, Hendrix, Who & Beatles -- in fact heard GNR cuz listened to a classic rock station that also played a lot of Whitesnake, Bon Jovi et al.)

As I keep sayin here, GNR was a lousy Hollywood coke-rock band (they based their moves on the Stones, not Zep -- as filtered through Motley Crue. And I don't like the Stones or Crue either!)

But the Guns/Grunge connection is simple: 1) rawer and angrier and dirtier than competing radio pop at the time (it doesn't matter if Big Black was angrier etc., they weren't on the radio), and 2) TEEN ANGST (specifically adolescent male rage vibes.)

Axl was very much a Kurt-esque figure; the dudes thought he was the coolest and could relate to his "turmoil", and the girls thought he was sexy with a sensitive side (much more so with Axl I'd say.)

I would further posit that Nirvana is ridiculously overrated, and that if Curt had lived the whole thing would be mostly forgotten by now. He might be about as important as "that guy from Third Eye Blind."

Conversely, if Axl died in the early 90's, he might be lauded as "Rock's last hope" the way Cobain is today.

(But I personally don't think either Axl or Cobain were anything of the kind.)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index