Guns N Roses Chinese Democracy

56 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9565 posts

Re: Guns N Roses Chinese Democracy
Jan 23, 2008, 00:31
Dog 3000 wrote:

But the Guns/Grunge connection is simple: 1) rawer and angrier and dirtier than competing radio pop at the time (it doesn't matter if Big Black was angrier etc., they weren't on the radio), and 2) TEEN ANGST (specifically adolescent male rage vibes.)

Axl was very much a Kurt-esque figure; the dudes thought he was the coolest and could relate to his "turmoil", and the girls thought he was sexy with a sensitive side (much more so with Axl I'd say.)

I would further posit that Nirvana is ridiculously overrated, and that if Curt had lived the whole thing would be mostly forgotten by now. He might be about as important as "that guy from Third Eye Blind."

Conversely, if Axl died in the early 90's, he might be lauded as "Rock's last hope" the way Cobain is today.

(But I personally don't think either Axl or Cobain were anything of the kind.)

G'n'R sounded neither raw, angry or dirty to me. They sounded like a diluted rock/pop band. I was in my late 20's when grunge happened. Those folk - particularly bands like Tad and The Bastards (if I can count them) sounded like they meant it.

And whilst I don't think Kurt was rock's last saviour or anything like that, the guy had talent. He'd surely be turning in his grave if he knew he was getting compared to Axl.

What would have happened if the other had lived and the other had died is conjecture. Sure Axl would have been lauded cos that's the way the rock business works. But I really don't think that Kurt would be forgotten. His MTV performance showed that in many ways he was just beginning.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index