56 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Guns N Roses Chinese Democracy
Jan 22, 2008, 17:32
keith a wrote:
They sounded as old as very old boots over here in 1987.

I can understand someone who was 15 at the time liking them, but otherwise...c'mon.

Well I was 15 going on 16! And more of a radio listener than a music collector at that age.

Apettite was a notably "fast, angry and raw" record in terms of commercial radio at the time. The "hard rock" competition was extremely candy-ass (that fuckin Bon Jovi record that was so huge.)

In some ways GNR was "grunge before grunge". They may have primed the pump for "punk" to go mainstream in the early 90's. Axl's incoherent rage against everything around him vibes very well with those angsty teenagers (like a more outward-directed Kurt Cobain really -- imagine if Axl had died young and beautiful -- maybe there'd have been no need for Nirvana!)

Though I also think that when you boil it down, GNR was a bullshit Hollywood coke-rock band based on the Rolling Stones model of "piss off parents to create a hype-storm of good/bad press which fuels massive sales." They probably got the idea from Motley Crue (another legendary Hollywood fake-rage coke rock outfit.)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index