Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: You Gotta Problem With Me
Jun 22, 2007, 13:01
Beebon wrote:
dont cry like little bitches

what an unpleasant turn of phrase... even if it did have a ;) after it.
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Re: Hold on!!!
Jun 22, 2007, 13:01
Well said moth, you lot are a pack of vultures and you havnt eaven heard the song yet. What is the role of a poet if not observe and empathise and interptret. You should know better, i cant wait till we all hear the song and i would bet a million pounds julians no racist, that its an intelligent song whos content is probably a millian miles away from your worst fears. It is possable to perceive another persons predjedice and see injustice in the world without holding those veiws yourself, and to have an opinion on it, every person who vitits this site does that everyday often vocally on here, which is why we love this site.

Freedom
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jun 22, 2007, 13:07
I agree, but I think people are just a bit worried about it. Mr Cope does need to be a little bit careful when he's talking about such emotive subjects - it's easy to misinterpret.
Father Sky
Father Sky
323 posts

Edited Jun 22, 2007, 14:06
Jun 22, 2007, 13:29
Aye Moth, that's how I read it too.

However, from March's Drudion it's clear that Julian is worried about the process of integration of migrants from Eastern Europe, in terms of culture and religion. He seems to suggest that we should take care in making migrants aware of our customs, being proud of our heritage. If, out of political correctness, we shy away from expressing our own traditions and fail to interact with naive migrants, they will assume we don't care about our culture, with negative consequences. He's not being anti-migrant or racist, he just wants the integration to be mutually beneficial. It sounds very sensible to me.
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Edited Jun 22, 2007, 13:40
Jun 22, 2007, 13:40
we dont even know what he IS saying or what the subject is yet.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 23, 2007, 06:52
Jun 22, 2007, 14:00
.... which is all just classic rock star, leather trousered guy narcisism writ large. Like Larkin and Pound and a whole host of middle aged English creators the fear of the "other" kicks in around the same time as a major upheaval in their personal lives or when creative, physical or psychic powers are waning. Homophobia and misogyny (which is a joke coming from someone who does what he does for a living) is hardly either faith or race specific.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: i Gotta Problem With him
Jun 22, 2007, 14:04
The funny thing is that I care a lot more about the effect it would have on the Cope 'community' than I do about how I might feel about Julian Cope the rock star.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 22, 2007, 17:58
Jun 22, 2007, 14:06
It's easy to misinterpret because some of his recent public utterings are incoherent and occasionally use the kind of bug-eyed incandescent language more often heard from the mouths of less than liberal souls.

Cope seems to think of rock and roll as the natural home of the genius savant, the mystic seer, the blessed visionary. The available evidence is that rock and rioll is blessed with far more Keith Allens than William Blakes.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 22, 2007, 18:04
Jun 22, 2007, 14:10
He might have forgotten more than I will ever know about ancient stones and the glam descend but I'll wager he doesn't know shit about life as it is lived by regular people in 2007 in a diverse and economically deprived community. And it's not his job to know.

The solipsism of rock stars and poets is something I take for granted. However if you think his burning concern for race issues in this country goes very far beyond his fear that drug taking rock and rollers with a penchent for the pagan might be in for a rough time at the hands of a faith-based political agenda then I fear you are mistaken. He seems to have set his stall out in the shadow Judaeo-Christian camp as an act of defensiveness. Presumably because they are the less likely of the various gangs of monotheist godbangers to get around to putting him (and us) against the wall.

Fair enough but true poets, true rock and rollers are always shot by both sides.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Jun 22, 2007, 14:12
Not everyone likes everything, Beebon.
And this is a democratic forum, afterall.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index