Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 22, 2007, 11:12
Re: You Gotta Problem With Me
Jun 22, 2007, 11:07
I couldn't make Reading so not really sure what he's on about. Certainly his occasional outpourings on this subject have been incoherent.

Of course incoherent nonsense is the very stuff of rock and roll so I've given him the benefit of the doubt on songs like "Ring" which rock (if innanely), however if he's edging into mid life racial paranoia ...... now that would be very very disappointing.

Knowing who you are and where you come from is one thing. Having the knives out for anyone who comes from a different place - geographically, spiritually or psychically - without knowing a damn thing about who they are and how they live is something else entirely.

Still I'll maintain an optimisitc outlook on this record until I've actually heard the thing
PlateOfFood
PlateOfFood
141 posts

Edited Jun 22, 2007, 11:13
Jun 22, 2007, 11:09
Mrs Ahab wrote:
can you do a copy and paste please.

I can't I'm afraid, I did try. It's some Flash/image thing, rather than text. If someone has somewhere that they can post images online, then it might be possible to grab the image and post it up as a jpg somewhere. I could do it if I was at home but not here at work. Its quite a lot of text as well, so it would take a while to copy out. Most of it is similar to the description of the record in the merchandiser.

If it hasn't been fixed by this evening, or if no-one has grabbed the image by then, I'll be able to post it tonight.

***EDIT - Ah! Thanks to Riverman for posting it below! ***
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Jun 22, 2007, 11:10
Julian Cope’s new album YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH ME (no question mark) is another protest album in the tradition of his previous releases PEGGY SUICIDE, JEHOVAHKILL, AUTOGEDDON, CITIZEN CAIN’D and DARK ORGASM. Unlike most records by Cope’s head-in-the-sand punk rock contemporaries (almost all of whom he believes to be shirking their primary rock’n’roll responsibility as cultural mouthpieces), YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH ME deals primarily with such currently controversial, nay, taboo issues as religion (our own and other peoples’), and the West’s latest wave of xenophobia, soul-searching and self-doubts brought on by a combination of the war in Iraq, the so-called 9/11 bombings and the EEC’s latest huge wave of migrants from former Communist countries. YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH ME also addresses all of Cope’s other long-term gripes: corporate greed and the destruction of Mother Earth, misogyny and homophobia, and our apparent inability to address such essential matters due to cultural ignorance and the glaring faults in our education system. Yes, Lenny Bruce and Bill Hicks are dead, but Cope’s still pissed off enough to fly the flag for all three of them! However, while the songs of YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH ME are even more lyrically hard-hitting than those on DARK ORGASM, musically this new record ploughs a far more traditional Copean furrow, returning the listener to insidiously melodic post-punk songs in the JEHOVAHKILL style, many sparsely orchestrated with Mellotron, wah-wah guitars, orchestral percussion and even lush harmonies. Released on double-CD and 12’’ vinyl LP, the 13 songs are split into two sections, and are accompanied by a 16-page booklet of insights, hard-hitting information, and a very epic poem; all designed to shake us from our post-everything stasis.

2 CDs, HEAD HERITAGE, HH21

DISC 1: 1. DOCTOR KNOW 2. BEYOND ROME 3. SOON TO FORGET YA 4 YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH ME 5. THEY GOTTA DIFFERENT WAY OF DOING THINGS 6 PEGGY SUICIDE IS A JUNKIE DISC 2: 1. A CHILD IS BORN IN CERRIG-Y-DRUDION 2. WODEN 3. SICK LOVE 4. CAN’T GET YOU OUT OF MY COUNTRY 5. VAMPIRE STATE BUILDING 6. HIDDEN DOORWAYS 7. SHAME SHAME SHAME
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 22, 2007, 11:15
Jun 22, 2007, 11:10
Funny he should invoke Hicks (twice the mind and three times the rock and roller - which is saying something) when some of Cope's own utterances appear to veer wildly into "Brown Islamic Tide" territory only to swerve back into eco-liberalism / libertarianism.

The uneasy alliances formed between some on the far right and some on the Green 'left' are a subject worth greater discussion.

The longer I live the more I find that my enemy's enemy is very rarely my friend.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jun 22, 2007, 11:43
IanB wrote:
Having the knives out for anyone who comes from a different place

This is the source of the album's title, apparently.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jun 22, 2007, 11:47
He went off on one. And, while you kinda knew what he meant, in search of his usual Lord Buckley schtick he was articulating it in a very clumsy poorly considered manner. He really needs to engage his brain before opening his mouth sometimes.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jun 22, 2007, 12:02
But iin't it only the homophobic and sexist ones he's worried about? I think that offsets the 'swamping' view quite nicely.

x
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: Hold on!!!
Jun 22, 2007, 12:20
Hold on! Lots of people are taking Plateoffood's quote about migrants out of context. The manifesto says:

YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH ME deals primarily with such currently controversial, nay, taboo issues as religion (our own and other peoples'), and the West's latest wave of xenophobia, soul-searching and self-doubts brought on by a combination of the war in Iraq, the so-called 9/11 bombings and the EEC's latest huge wave of migrants from former Communist countries.

But I think if you read it carefully, you can (hopefully) see that it's about peoples' paranoia - not about his own attitude. He really could do with an editor to shorten his sentences & paras.... :^(

There are just too many thoughts crammed together - if you take out the bits that are nowt to do with the migrants bit, it helps a bit & reads as:

YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH ME deals with such issues as the West's latest wave of xenophobia, soul-searching and self-doubts brought on by the EEC's latest huge wave of migrants from former Communist countries.

Which (I'd guess) means the song you mentioned is indeed ABOUT the paranoia.

love

Moth
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jun 22, 2007, 12:56
thanks for posting that.
Beebon
1375 posts

Jun 22, 2007, 12:58
I hope that if it sounds a bit different to his other stuff that people dont cry like little bitches like when Drain'd Boner came out ;)
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index