Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PlateOfFood
PlateOfFood
141 posts

Re: Hold on!!!
Jun 22, 2007, 16:08
Mrs Ahab wrote:
how do you know this song is about england? Maybe its about someone in the middle east who wants us out of their country, for example, there is more than one interpretaion to misinterpret here, use your imaginations.

That's a good point, Mrs A.
PlateOfFood
PlateOfFood
141 posts

Re: Hold on!!!
Jun 22, 2007, 16:24
Moth wrote:
Hold on! Lots of people are taking Plateoffood's quote about migrants out of context. The manifesto says:

YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH ME deals primarily with such currently controversial, nay, taboo issues as religion (our own and other peoples'), and the West's latest wave of xenophobia, soul-searching and self-doubts brought on by a combination of the war in Iraq, the so-called 9/11 bombings and the EEC's latest huge wave of migrants from former Communist countries.

But I think if you read it carefully, you can (hopefully) see that it's about peoples' paranoia - not about his own attitude. He really could do with an editor to shorten his sentences & paras.... :^(

There are just too many thoughts crammed together - if you take out the bits that are nowt to do with the migrants bit, it helps a bit & reads as:

YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH ME deals with such issues as the West's latest wave of xenophobia, soul-searching and self-doubts brought on by the EEC's latest huge wave of migrants from former Communist countries.

Which (I'd guess) means the song you mentioned is indeed ABOUT the paranoia.

love

Moth

Thanks Moth, yes I think you're right, he is trying to say the album is about the West's xenophobia, amongst other things.

It's such a loaded title though - Cant Get You Out Of My Country - that you have to hope the intention of the song is much clearer in the lyrics themselves.

Especially if, you know, he's still dressing as a Nazi and that...
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Re: You Gotta Problem With Me
Jun 22, 2007, 16:31
Sorry. What sort of response were you expecting to that sort of remark, then?
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Everyone Gotta Problem With Everyone
Jun 22, 2007, 16:36
Or maybe not.
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Re: i Gotta Problem With him
Jun 22, 2007, 17:00
i don't think a little bit of race hate from someone we all love and respect would matter, do you? we're the ones who should give him the biggest kicking...
keith a
9572 posts

Freedom of speech
Jun 22, 2007, 17:01
I think it's very nice of Mr Cope to pay for the upkeep of a website, just so we can slag off his songs even though we haven't heard them yet.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: i Gotta Problem With him
Jun 22, 2007, 17:11
true. true.
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Re: Freedom of speech
Jun 22, 2007, 17:13
yeah but....
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 22, 2007, 18:05
Re: Freedom of speech
Jun 22, 2007, 17:16
oh blimey.

I don't think many people round here do "my rock star - right or wrong".

it's hardly a new idea that his views on some issues may have ragged and jagged edges and most of us have already said we'll wait to hear what the song is about before passing any kind of critical judgement on the record.

new album aside - this has been gently simmering for more than a year and if there's a debate it is about a lot more than one song title. you could hardly read his Drudions or listen to some of his musical and cultural recommendations without wondering a little bit about where his head is at. no?

the people who stand 100% behind most of his recent releases (inc Odin and the like) and spend a small fortune in the process can hardly be accused of being disloyal patrons or taking the site for granted.

"fuck organised religion .... I would prefer nihilism and destruction" (my way or the highway by any other name) is not sounding like an especially compassionate and open hearted view unknow? but hey the record will tell us what we need to know.
Beebon
1375 posts

Re: You Gotta Problem With Me
Jun 22, 2007, 19:26
I really thought that my use of an emoticon would kinda indicate to people that I was being a wee bit tongue in cheek.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index