Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bernie the bolt
bernie the bolt
189 posts

Re: You Gotta Problem With Me
Jun 22, 2007, 19:34
This thread is very good.

Dodgy politics... no other sort, is there? I am very un-clued in with regards JHCope's fine print on these subjects, sorry to say, but any full-on intolerance will sink this record for me. Opinions are entitled, but I ain't gonna be singing along if it's race-bothering nastiness with rock'n'roll edginess as justification. I know I sound like a total 'tard, for which I apologise. I am certainly gonna get the record. I will certainly listen to it at loud volume. I hope it rocks. I hope I am enraged and stimulated for all the right reasons. If it sucks for all the bad reasons suggested, then I'll be posting it back to HH. Or to Capital One.

I liked Drain'd Boner. Was I alone?
\m/
sttomas
sttomas
1123 posts

Jun 22, 2007, 23:22
Bernie,

Never mind what anyone else says on this thread, just make up your own mind. I'm sure you'll come to the right conclusions!!

The doubts on this thread stem from Drudions going back to last June, which were a bit dodgy to say the least!

I'm the same, I'm reserving judgement until I've heard the album.
bernie the bolt
bernie the bolt
189 posts

Jun 23, 2007, 00:25
sttomas wrote:
Bernie,

Never mind what anyone else says on this thread, just make up your own mind. I'm sure you'll come to the right conclusions!!

The doubts on this thread stem from Drudions going back to last June, which were a bit dodgy to say the least!

I'm the same, I'm reserving judgement until I've heard the album.

Sounds like a plan sttomas! Gotta buy it, gotta form an opinion then.

Here's a diff tangent though: will HH take cash?
Don't possess (or want a credit card) and postal orders are, well, postal orders. And cheques take the mick a bit/a lot don't they?
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jun 23, 2007, 01:50
IanB wrote:
The longer I live the more I find that my enemy's enemy is very rarely my friend.

That usually ends up badly, yeah.
I remember when the Soviets were in Afghanistan and the US TV news was showing glowing footage of "heroic afghan freedom fighters" and Reagan was calling them the George Washingtons of their nation, or something close to that. We were funneling them tons of weapons. So they beat back the USSR, morph into radical war-chiefs, and become the new problem. Neato.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Jun 23, 2007, 02:06
Re: Freedom of speech
Jun 23, 2007, 02:05
IanB wrote:
"fuck organised religion .... I would prefer nihilism and destruction"

That's a naieve statement coming from anyone who grew up within the peaceful, afflulent western world... it's the blatherings of a somewhat lazy intellect seeking to shock. But it only comes across as sophomoric, really. (sorry Copesters)

I'm not for organized religion, but I fathom that it was an effective means of achieving law and some kind of coherent social identity at one time in human history (and of course it still does, and of course it also leads to war and social DIS-order too...)

I'm not going to get too upset one way or the other about anything that Cope says, unless it becomes clear that he's got some agenda. Hell, I still admit I like THE WORK of many actors and musicians and artists that can get stupid with the best of them.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Hold on!!!
Jun 23, 2007, 02:16
There certainly is a lot of sense in making sure that the influx of foreigners into ones own society is handled in such a way to prevent clashes and ingrown subcultures from arising. I wouldn't dare presume to relocate to a country that had a different language without trying my best to learn it.

People get bent out of shape about this topic and hear what they want to hear sometimes, to fit their political predispositions. I think everyone can agree that an opening of the gates in any region of the world to people in exodus requires tremendous care, lest it backlash on the immigrants in the form of organized hatred.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 23, 2007, 06:07
Re: Freedom of speech
Jun 23, 2007, 06:06
handofdave wrote:
Hell, I still admit I like THE WORK of many actors and musicians and artists that can get stupid with the best of them.

I agree 100%. I lost it a bit yesterday but I don't back away from the idea that it's ok to be as disappointed with an artist when they get it wrong as I am thrilled when they get it right.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 23, 2007, 12:41
Jun 23, 2007, 06:16
bernie the bolt wrote:

I know I sound like a total 'tard, for which I apologise. I am certainly gonna get the record. I will certainly listen to it at loud volume. I hope it rocks. I hope I am enraged and stimulated for all the right reasons. If it sucks for all the bad reasons suggested, then I'll be posting it back to HH. Or to Capital One.

I liked Drain'd Boner. Was I alone?
m/

Really liked it for the first week or so. Especially the really glacial bits. The more I played it the less I wanted to lsiten to it which also goes for many of JC's recent recommendations of other artists though it is a rarity for me with his own albums - Interpreter and 20 Mothers aside which didn't ever do a whole lot for me.

I agree with you on the album - I expect to be stimulated and possibly dismayed. I don't except cogent social analysis from rock and roll - that's not what's it is for.

However as someone who comes from a family of economic migrants and who had a grandparent locked up in *this* country for a couple of years on the basis of their nationality alone I get really really tetchy when any nation or faith group get tarred with a single brush.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 23, 2007, 07:07
Re: Hold on!!!
Jun 23, 2007, 06:22
handofdave wrote:
There certainly is a lot of sense in making sure that the influx of foreigners into ones own society is handled in such a way to prevent clashes and ingrown subcultures from arising. I wouldn't dare presume to relocate to a country that had a different language without trying my best to learn it.

People get bent out of shape about this topic and hear what they want to hear sometimes, to fit their political predispositions. I think everyone can agree that an opening of the gates in any region of the world to people in exodus requires tremendous care, lest it backlash on the immigrants in the form of organized hatred.

Absolutely. Economic migration is not the post-colonial, post-EU, phenomena created by liberals and do-gooders that some people would have you believe. It's as old as trade. As old as the shortage of any basic need. Cure the shortage, address the imbalance in the supply of basic needs and hey presto it stops*. Bucky Fuller 101.

Amazes when people here and in the US in particular seem to think their nations are *culturally* more attractive to outsiders. What self-delusion! It's all about earning a crust and not about the dubious joys of Big Brother, Dan Brown, McFly and the NBA. Given the choice and safe housing, food, education etc in their own communities people don't stray far from where they call "home".

* Eco catatstrophe aside of course. Which I admit is hardly a given.
Nikinakinoo
Nikinakinoo
1281 posts

Jun 23, 2007, 12:46
I might have. I will wait and see.

fingers crossed.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index