Re: RUSH
May 04, 2006, 11:28
Bloody marvellous imo but i think Seb will tell you differently. ;) xx
meurglys III
meurglys III
1085 posts

May 04, 2006, 11:42
I'm not getting involved in this one........
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

May 04, 2006, 11:42
They are one of those acts like say Ted Nugent that are tough to take for people who were only Rock congniscent from The Smiths onwards. For heads who were buying records before 1976 then it is not such a stretch to see their virtues. I can see no reason why someone who gets Drums and Wires wouldn't get a couple of Rush records if they parked their Post Punk credentials for five minutes. I would also argue that every head collection would benefit as much from the addition of 'Working Man' from the first record as they would from "Split" or "Montrose".

If you can get past the singing there's a lot to be said for their 70s output. That's a big if' for a lot of folks but I'd recommend giving "Farewell To Kings" a spin and if that grabs you keep digging. It's the bravest post punk (rather than Post Punk) statement from one of the prog dinosaurs. Unless you fall in love with them I wouldn't come any nearer the present than "Hemishperes" though.
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

May 04, 2006, 11:50
Oh you're itching to. Go on go on go on go on go on! ;D xx
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Edited May 04, 2006, 13:12
May 04, 2006, 11:52
As you will probably have guessed from the enthusiasm of our 'Lady in Pink', your feelings about Rush will probably equate to your feelings about Yes.
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

May 04, 2006, 12:13
LOL! xx
meurglys III
meurglys III
1085 posts

May 04, 2006, 12:26
I still have the programmes and tickets, but not the records and the patches. Let's leave it there.
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

May 04, 2006, 12:37
For a while, probably 1980 - 82, I was into Rush. Not in a big way but bought 2112, Nightflight and a couple of others but names escape me. I even went on one of those trips, they used to advertise in Sounds, to see them live in Rotterdam. I think it was a phase brought on by the company I was keeping at the time though.

I still appreciate the musicianship and all that, but...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 04, 2006, 13:24
I have a soft spot for the the RUSHans - always admired the fact they managed to vary their sounds loads over a lengthy career whilst still holding onto their essential Rushness.

Apparently their last UK dates were incredible - 3 hour marathons covering all their career - which is no mean feat coming from gents of a certain age and especially following the personal tragedies affecting Neal Peart. Wish I'd gone.
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index