Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Jun 23, 2006, 16:14
aaaarrrrrghhhh!
Jun 23, 2006, 16:14
keith a wrote:
I don't mind him now. I just could have lived without hearing Could It Be Forever on constant play when I was 11!!

I can't get that song out of my head now!

))))=8-I
Sootickle
Sootickle
1039 posts

Re: RUSH
Jun 23, 2006, 20:57
I always had a soft spot for David Live - World Tour 1974. Some beautifully sublime moments on that. Some of the singing has made me reappraise David Cassidy in the past 10 years. I'm waiting for it to be reissued on CD.
keith a
9574 posts

Edited Jun 24, 2006, 11:49
Re: aaaaargh nooooooo !
Jun 24, 2006, 11:46
Yup! ; )
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Jun 25, 2006, 11:50
Yes, I think they are...most of their albums anyway. They hit big over here at the same time as punk emerged so they were always a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. Then I lost interest around '82-'83 when their albums became too technical and cold.

For what it's worth, I'd rate 'Rush' (very Zep-influenced debut dripping with raw energy), 'Fly By Night' (good second album despite the pretentious proggyness starting to take hold), '2112' (very uncool but loads of fun - and what riffs to behold), 'A Farewell To Kings' and 'Hemispheres' (effectively two parts of the same album, very pretentious but with muso-thrills aplenty) and then 'Permanent Waves' (their best album). There are moments of excellence at various points thereafter but Rush's best work is to be found in this early stuff IMHO. But avoid 'Caress Of Steel' like the plague: it sucks very big logs indeed.

Their latest album 'Vapour Trails' is very fine as well, come to think of it. No guitar solos, would you believe!
riotmaster
1563 posts

Jun 25, 2006, 13:29
what about 'Moving Pictures' ?

classic!

and 'Caress Of Steel' has the mighty 'I Think I'm Going Bald'

I looked in the mirror today
My eyes just didn't seem so bright
I've lost a few more hairs
I think I'm going bald

I think I'm going bald

Seems like only yesterday
We would sit and talk of dreams all night
Dreams of youth
And simple truths
Now we're so involved
So involved with life

Walk down vanity fair
Memory lane everywhere
Wall Street shuffles there
Dressed in flowing hair

Once we loved the flowers
Now we ask the price of the land
Once we would take water
But now it must be wine
Now we've been
And now we've seen
What price peace of mind

Take a piece of my mind

My life is slipping away
I'm aging every day
But even when I'm grey
I'll still be grey my way
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Jun 25, 2006, 23:27
Well quoted, but 'Caress' also includes the preposterous side-long 'Fountain Of Lamneth' which ranks alongside Keith Emerson's 'Piano Concerto no.1' as THE greatest justification for the new wave ever..and that from an unashamed (well, okay, occasionally ashamed) old wave fan. Ugh.

As for 'Moving Pictures', well okay, it's very good, the marvellous instrumental 'YYX' in particular. They got a bit pompous, keyboardy and shitey thereafter, however, did they not?
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Jun 26, 2006, 01:06
>They got a bit pompous, keyboardy and shitey thereafter, however, did they not?

Nope. ;^)

Well, mebbe a bit keyboardy at times in the 80s. Not more pompous, I don't think - I'd've thought if someone thought they were pompous they'd have reached their most pompous long before that with 'Fountain of Lamneth', 2112, A Farewell to Kings & Hemispheres!!!

I'm unashamed to say I like all their stuff (to different degrees). I'm never surprised a lot of people don't like them/dislike them tho - esp around here!

love

Moth
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

How dare you compare!
Jun 26, 2006, 01:17
. . . "Fountain of Lamneth" is nothing like that crappy Emerson concerto!

Emerson's "greatest shit" is 18 minutes of finger exercises on the piano with orchestra accompaniment -- pure boredom! (I love Keith & ELP, but "Works vol. 1" is one of my all-time least favorite records EVER.)

Whereas Rush's corniest epic ever is really just three funky little hobbit metal tunes stuck together with goofy narration in between (Neil Peart I betcha!) It's hardly even that "muso" -- one section even steals the riff from "Sweet Jane" wholesale! (How was that an accident in 1975 I wonder?!? Their appropriation sounds more like the glossy live "RnR Animal" version which was the hit than the Velvets original.)
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: How dare you compare!
Jun 26, 2006, 06:24
Rush Stealing from the VU, which makes the Necromancer a dungeons & dragons rip off of The Gift, at last it's all becoming clear

and Lakeside Park is my 2nd fave Rush tune evah,i think we can all look ar Caress Of Steel in a new light now, as the lost classic it deserves to be known as.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Jan 15, 2011, 05:12
The Beyond The Lighted Stage doc has
renewed a long dormant love for
the band , recently listened to the
studio catalogue , most of which i'd
never heard , others for the first time
in thirty odd years .
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic