RUSH

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: RUSH
Jan 17, 2011, 23:48
Yes, they are - providing you can take Geddy Lee's vocals.

I love the eponymous first album: basic metal but with real catchy riffs and licks. 'Fly By Night' was more of the same, but with the beginnings of the prog leanings that would infuse most of their subsequent records. 'Caress Of Steel' was dire, apart from 'Bastille Day' where an awful chorus is diffused by an awesome verse riff. '2112' was as good as 'Caress' was bad - the same long-track formula, but with more energy and much better tunes. 'Farewell To Kings' and 'Hemispheres' saw them getting a bit too far up their own arses, but they were entertaining enough if you could forget what the Clash were doing at the same time.

1980's 'Permanent Waves' is their career high for me. They'd reigned in their pomposity enough to write proper songs again, but with real sophistication. I saw them on tour around that time and they were quite magnificent. In fact, come to think of it, maybe it's the live albums where you should start, since 'All The World's A Stage' and 'Exit Stage Left' are fine one-stop shops of their 70's and early 80's output respectively.

I lost them after 'Moving Pictures' (1981) and 'Signals' (1982), since those albums were only occasionally inspiring to my ears. But I know folks who insist that I'm missing out.

There's loads of cheap Rush compilations out there should you wish to dip your toes cautiously. I remember seeing a 2CD best of in Morrisons for five sobs not so long back.
vince
vince
1628 posts

Jan 17, 2011, 23:49
Why I don't like Rush:

1. Fretwank

2. Punk Rock wars.

3. All the people I used to know who liked them were wankers.

Not making any judgement on you fine folk, just tellin' it like it is/was.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jan 18, 2011, 00:08
I admire them for their dorkishness. They are nerds, and don't care who knows it. The world needs more anti-celebrity musos!

A lot of their fans are also dorks, which may put some potential listeners off. ;-)

I like most of their stuff through "Signals" (esp. the first 3 LP's & "Pictures" & "Waves"), got turned off by the mid-80's / early 90's synth period ("Grace" and "Fire", like 80's Genesis without the hooks!) and haven't really given them much of a chance since.

But I know quite a few longtime fans who swear their more recent "back to basics" albums are classic.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Jan 18, 2011, 02:29
I saw them during the Hold You Fire or was it Signals (which I like) tour at the SECC in Glasgow a few years back and thought they were excellent. You couldn't fault their musical skills, one hell of a night and some lighting show.
redbarchetta
redbarchetta
335 posts

Jan 18, 2011, 08:33
Yep, I admit to dorkishness with a bit of geek thrown in. I also own the Battlestar Galactica box set and know a bit of html.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jan 18, 2011, 17:41
Is that the old BSG or the new one? ;-)
redbarchetta
redbarchetta
335 posts

Jan 18, 2011, 18:03
Hey Dog,
the new one ... pure genius :-)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Jan 18, 2011, 19:53
Jan 18, 2011, 19:37
Never liked the albums I heard although think Spirit of Radio is a good track apart from the horrible keyboard stabs on it. Not keen on their lyrics either and always thought they were slightly pompous and lacking in humour.
Maybe put off further by all the nerds in school who used to listen to them whilst playing dungeons and dragons.
Appreciate their musicianship and technical ability - though that's not enough for me to want to buy their records.

8)
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

Jan 20, 2011, 05:02
I think you are deliberately provoking, but no. But I know SC has already told you differently but hopefully Seb has agreed with me and I hope by God Keith A has agreed with me, yet I do like Jon Anderson solo a bit...wait, sorry, he's from a different gr...they're GREAT.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Jan 20, 2011, 16:56
redbarchetta wrote:

Hey Dog,
the new one ... pure genius :-)

Amen
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index