RUSH

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: RUSH
May 04, 2006, 20:13
You used to be able to download a couple of MP3s from here but the format's changed to streaming. I'm copying some cds right now so I can't check what's up there
http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=609

think I liked some of the music but found the vocals trying.
Somebody did tell me in the late 80s that that whole speed(?) metal thing of Metallica/Slayer etc just sounded like them sped up. Dunno what creedence I'd put in that.

Did I spell that word right might be being diverted by listening to the Gun Club cover of CCR's Run Through The Jungle
Stevo
Np Gun Club Miami Run Through the Jungle
dee
1955 posts

May 05, 2006, 10:50
Oo er! I'm a bit scared to check em out, Its just a mate of mine asked me what Rush were like, I said Id only ever heard Tom Sawyer and that was years ago....
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

May 05, 2006, 15:45
I like their first 3 albums the best, there's no synths then, they were just a good old fashioned proggy power trio. "Fly By Night" may be may favorite (the one with the moon-owl on the cover.)

"2112" I've always thought was kinda crappy -- but then again, I adore ELP but don't understand why people like that boring "Brain Salad Surgery" album either . . . everyone sez these are the classics, but I don't believe it.

The batch after 2112 up to the early 80's have their moments, sort of synth-prog-pop. They did better than most progsters adapting to the "new wave" I suppose.

From "Power Windows" on, I wouldn't bother.
wheelbarrow man
wheelbarrow man
8 posts

May 05, 2006, 23:21
Liked Permannt Waves a lot. Still put it on occasionally.
achuma
achuma
503 posts

May 07, 2006, 15:11
I think Rush were a patchy band that sometimes did some awesome stuff, if you like prog-metal. I'd say all of their 70's albums have enough great moments to warrant checking out, and for me the quality drops off greatly after 'A Farewell To Kings', probably their best album overall (though not without a bit of tosh on shorter tracks). The self-titled debut is more of a Led Zep wannabe thing than anything too proggy, and it's an ok album. 'Caress Of Steel' and 'Fly By Night' have a few wicked tracks each, and I love the covers of both albums. I used to really like '2112' but these days it sounds more and more cheesy to me. I still kinda enjoy it a little though, I'd just hesitate to play it with anyone else around! The first live album is pretty good, too.
On the other hand I know a lot of people with otherwise fairly similar tastes to me who don't care for Rush at all. Maybe it's just a case of the stuff they don't like obliterating the memory of the more awesome bits. Or maybe some folks just aren't made to like Rush!
riotmaster
1563 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 17:01
for some strange reason i'm in the middle of a mad Rush love in at the moment. and the last time that happened i was about 14

but i've just been hit by the Geddy bug again out of the blue and they rule

Working Man, Red Barchetta, Fly By Night, Tom Sawyer, Jacob's Ladder etc etc

even some of the latter stuff aint half bad

maybe i need a lie down!
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 18:01
I dugged the Rush whilst spotty teen in a combat jacket. Especially A Farewell To Kings and Fly By Night.

Over twenty years later can only bring self to listen to 'By-Tor and The Snow Dog', which has an ace hyper-blues bassline, and lots of squack and squonkk overdrive from Lifeson over the trademark megadiddles from Peart. Almost Magma-esque in it's complexity and outlandishness.

But not.

I suppose, in their own way, they were the thinking fan's prog-rock, silk embroidered, Canadian cameltoe/mullet trio to beat. As this pic proves:

http://www.cathedralstone.net/Pics/Rush2a.jpg

Lately I'be been wondering if Rush's 'objectivist/libertarian' lyrics entered my feeble mind at a young age, hence rendering me incapable of believing in either God or Politicians. Much later I realised that there were ploughmen who were also philosophers.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 18:05
those Abba birds are looking well dodgy now
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

stinkylink
Jun 21, 2006, 23:24
Hey how come you can see it? I just get mp3 logos.

http://www.hotsandwich.com/archives/000642.shtml

there's another hope it works properly.

Caress of Silk, mmm.

AARGHY!
Beebon
1375 posts

Jun 22, 2006, 09:13
Give 2112 a try and see what you think. I reckon it's quite fun!
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index