Ahead of their time

Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Ahead of their time
Jul 29, 2004, 11:51
I'm sat here playing Family's Music In a Doll's House an its got me thinking here's another album that was way ahead of the pack when it was released in '68. Like lots of others that year it was psychedelic in the classic psych rock sense but there were few albums around with the scope of themes and styles this album encapsulated, prog before the prog boom I guess. I want to hear other suggestions of albums that you think were way ahead of their contemporaries
I'll start with the ones that always make me sit up and think. Now they don't necessarily have to be timeless albums like say the first Stooges album that have aged well, just very innovative/ out on their own at their time of release.

Silver Apples - first two albums for obvious reasons

Red Crayola - Parable of Arable Land (sounds more like late 80's avant noise merchants than their 60's psychedelic contempories to me)

Can - Tago Mago (to me sounds like the blue print for alternative music from the late 70's onwards rather than early 70's progressive rock)

Spirit - Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus (can't believe this was recorded in 1970, sounds like it was made in the late 70's rather than at the tail end of the West Coast acid rock scene)

Fifty Foot Hose - Cauldron (again for similar reasons as Parable of Arable Land)

can anyone think of some more?
Harry Lime
Harry Lime
21 posts

Re: Ahead of their time
Jul 29, 2004, 12:56
Off hand ..The First Roxy Music Album stunned me at the time..Saw them play with Brian Eno early on..Jesus they were rugged..wondrous stuff.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jul 29, 2004, 15:00
White Noise: An Electrical Storm
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jul 29, 2004, 15:02
And "Rumble" by Link Wray.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jul 29, 2004, 15:04
Holy fuck! Another...

"Telstar" by the Tornados.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jul 29, 2004, 15:08
Of course the last two are songs and not albums.

Ah, another... "It's Wonderful" by the Rascals.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jul 29, 2004, 15:32
Hmm. I like that song a lot, but it sounds more lika a classic period piece rather than being ahead of it's time to me...

Agree with all the other contributions though, (from yourself and everyone else) and I would add Neu!'s entire output for being indirectly
influential on everyone from The Fall to Spacemen 3 (and Stereolab, of course). When I first heard "Neu! '75" ten or so years ago I couldn't believe it was almost 20 years old already. Early Tangerine Dream & Cluster also spring to mind for predating much of that mid-90s "Illbient" genre (Lull, E.A.R., Zoviet France etc.).
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Jul 29, 2004, 16:16
This one is well and truly at the top of my wants list so will be the next CD I buy!
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Jul 29, 2004, 16:18
I've never explored their early stuff but from what I've read in recent years sounds like I'm missing out
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Jul 29, 2004, 16:19
Add some Neu! to me list too heheh
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index