Ahead of their time

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Re: Polymetricity.
Aug 04, 2004, 17:11
I meant what else in electronica is heavily polyrhythmic and/or polymetric. Rhythmic complexity is easy to find in African percussion and Indian classical music, so I don't need to stoop to Sting.

Thanks for the Autechre note.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Polymetricity.
Aug 04, 2004, 23:03
Well, I like "Zuckerzeit" a lot and have just listened to it again with regard to what you said about polymetricity. Yeah, that second to last one that Moebius wrote is really schizoid and irregular. Nonetheless, though, I also think that the best Dieter contribution on that album is "Rote Riki" which is just 2/4 and all the more hard-hitting because of it.
Bess Keloid
Bess Keloid
348 posts

Re: Ahead of their time
Aug 04, 2004, 23:12
No, he said The White Noise, featuring David Vorhaus & Delia Derbyshire. Still, thanks for linking to some excellent Mancuniana!
keith a
9573 posts

Aug 04, 2004, 23:16
God I'd forgotten all about What Noise. Must dig out Vein sometime.
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Ahead of their time / SPARKS
Aug 06, 2004, 15:25
I'm so jealous! Would loved to have gone.

What did you make of the Lil Beethoven section? The album is tremendous.
torpedo
95 posts

Aug 06, 2004, 15:42
I think the first 2 Killing Joke albums were ahead of their time. Big scary guitars played over a heavy grrove with burbling synth sound. Didnt The Prodigy do that twenty years later!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: oops.....
May 31, 2005, 19:20
I think there have been na couple of reissues/compis of that early Futurist stuff over the last coupla years.
Probly getting disnmissed/overlooked as being Spandau ballet clone music except by the perceptive few
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Ahead of their time/robert johnson
May 31, 2005, 19:27
Funny that, was just trhinking earlier about a time last year when I walked into a local record shop that was playing a compi of RJ. It was possible to hear the way that he was probably covering as much ground as possible doing songs in different popular styles.

He was actually thought to be behind the times until the '60s blues revival when he was suddenly taken to be the purest form of the music.
Stevo
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index